Neanderthal Review

Spleen United: Neanderthal
Release Date: 2008
Label: Copenhagen Records
Genres: Indie, Synth Pop
On their second album, Spleen United evolves their dark synth based rock towards the light with clear inspiration from '90s dance acts.
 8.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Neanderthal Reviewed by: Raphael Faunus, on february 12, 2008

Sound: This definately isn't a guitar band; I'm not seeing this one getting any guitarists excited for particularly that reason, but they stand out for writing songs on this album with synths that could be replicated with the guitar and have the exact same, if not better, sound. This Danish electro group captures a variety of styles in the crossfire, only a select few tracks comparable to the prior album Godspeed Into The Mainstream. Under The Sun is the best choice if you want to keep the formerly mentioned theme in mind, but this new album is riddled with various niches that take some concentration to find. This one is particularly rhythm-centric with lush centerpieces of drumbeats, and the synths are a bit quicker and less like pads. Overall a new and unique vibe that you'd enjoy quite a bit if you like a bit happier of a style of electronic. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics couple hand-in-hand with Godspeed Into The Mainstream, creating an impressive contrast to the excitement found in this album. The vocals have improved a little, with a lot more range, which fits with the new, something more upbeat thematics that come with something that feels like an experiment in Chemical Brothers. Said vocals speak with what are very catchy lines, which you'll probably end up repeating one or two times throughout the day ("In my youth/In my youth I used to rage/In my youth I used to dream of age"). // 7

Overall Impression: After listening to a few tracks, I was left thinking "This definately isn't Godspeed, but I like it." Fans of Zeromancer's ZZYZX will appreciate this album, lacking guitars or not. At the same time, I saw that it could draw comparison to even industrial bands such as Combichrist, with the same palette of synth tones. Not a rock album by any perspective, but an excellent album despite any objection one may have to that element. // 9

Comments