Torn Between Vengeance And Passion Review

Genre: Rock
 4.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Torn Between Vengeance And Passion Reviewed by: Royal Tenenbaum, on april 20, 2004

Sound: Here's a little note before I begin the review: If you want a copy of this album, email nosh1000@hotmail.com. You won't be able to find this in the shops. The first thing I noticed about the sound was that every instrument and the vocals could all be heard clearly. The sound quality is a helluva lot better than the band's first record. The main style that seems to be used is a pounding bass riff and a growling guitar. The solos range from slow and simple to absolutely phenomenally fast! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very imaginative and always put a smile on my face. There's the funny lyrics (Ballad of Mangey Girl), the humorous lyrics (They Call Me Flea), the dark lyrics (Three Dumb Fighters) and the political lyrics (Fat and Bloated). The singer sings off-key most of the time. He's sort of a mix between Johnny Rotten and Dave Mustaine I think. // 10

Overall Impression: I think compared to the band's first album, this is a masterpiece. None of the songs sound the same, non of the songs are fillers. It opens brilliantly with a heavy metal instrumental of a familiar advert, and doesn't slow down after that! Here's the track listing and ratings: 1. Advert - 10/10 this is an amazing instrumental lasting just over one minute. They use a frying pan as a drum in this! 2. Metronome - 8/10 another 1-minuter. This quite catchy but also quite absurd. 3. The Meaning of Life - 10/10 the first proper song. You'll be standing up and saluting by the time it reaches the last chorus. 4. Fat And Bloated - 9/10 the riff is a bit repetetive, but so what! It's a great riff! 5. The Ballad of Mangey Girl - 10/10 one of the best tracks on the album. The lyrics are funny, the guitar playing is flawless. 6. Three Dumb Fighters - 10/10 probably the album's best track. 7. They Call Me Flea - 8/10 a great song with a great bass riff. 8. Hit The Dance Floor - 10/10 makes ya wanna mosh not dance! 9. Bring It Down - 9/10 mosh n go all the way on this excellent song. Great mic effects too. 10. Disengaged - 10/10 an epic ending. It starts off metal, but goes into a country/western solo in the middle! It's a must-have for fans of riot punk/metal Get a copy of this now! Email nosh1000@hotmail.com. I did and I'm much better person since! www.communigate.co.uk/york/splinter // 10

Comments