BYO Split Series, Vol. 5 Review

Split Series: BYO Split Series, Vol. 5
Released: Apr 20, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk Revival, Emo
Alkaline Trio are back with six new songs, and they're all great. One Man Army definitely bring a good Clash feel with plenty of loud guitars and an influence of reggae.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 7.1
 8.2
 5.9
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
BYO Split Series, Vol. 5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2004

Sound: This album is a Split album between the emotional punk rockers Alkaline Trio and the relatively unheard of One Man Army. Released after the highly acclaimed 'Good Mourning' it should give a pretty good indication of what to expect from the next album. The 'Trio really have done a fine job here. The 6 songs on offer from the band sound quite frankly breathtaking. As emotional as you'd expect from any Alkaline Trio album and in particular one song, 'Sadie', could possibly be the best Alkaline Trio song to date. It is a slow, beautiful, emotional parody which includes the use of violins and really is fantastic. In my opinion the album's worth buying just for this song. 'Fine Without You' is a solid if not deppressing introduction the album as it is about coping with a lost love. Unlike most pop punk bands however you feel like you can take their songs on subjects such as this more seriously than pathetic commercial, unoriginal bands like Blink 182. 'Dead and Broken' is a more upbeat song with a naturally punky vibe but not in the classical sense. The One Man Army half of the album is unoriginal and boring. Saddly they drag the possible rating of 5 to a 4 for the sound. // 8

Lyrics: As you would expect from alkaline trio album, the lyrics are sarcastic and put a sadistically dark but emotive perspective on the concept of love. Alkaline Trio are undoubtedly an under-rated band and the lyrics here prove that I think. One Man Army's lyrics aren't all that bad really when you break them down. They are clearly just an inferior version of the 'Trio however but the lyrics still maintain a 5 because Alkaline Trio's lyrics are so strong and poeticly brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I would give this album an overall rating of 5 if it was purely an Alkaline Trio CD. Saddly however, One Man Army clog up the remaining half with dull heard-it-all-before wannabe punk tunes that are frankly un-interesting and drop the rating. Still, for half an album a rating of 4 is pretty damn impressive. 'Sadie' is unquestionably a must hear and I think shows what the band are really capable of when they put their minds to it. It even stands up to their almighty classic hit 'Radio'. I was a semi Alkaline Trio fan before I must admit, but this has fully converted me. It is definitely worth the price tag even for just 6 Alkaline Trio songs, enjoy! // 8

BYO Split Series, Vol. 5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2005

Sound: First all this is a awesome way to lazily make an LP with only doing half the work. But it is a good way to here a band thats so what like the other in my case. I'm a big big Alkaline Trio fan and this was my first real time of hearing more that a thrity-second song by One Man Army. There is no real direction ether band tried to take it's more like to EPs put together that an album but that doesn't mean it's not awesome. Preety much I'm trying to say is that nether bands sound any different just the same old kick ass music. // 8

Lyrics: Alkaline Trio has never really left me hanging with there lyrics they've never really been amazing but there never really dull or stupid ether decent I guess is the best way to explain it. On the other hand one man army is your average punk band lyrics about girls, problems, drugs etc. you know the usuazz but pretty interesting on the accounts of both bands. // 7

Overall Impression: I guess we can go threw each track and lay it down for you vocally, writing, rank, etc. Alkaline Trio does the first six songs. 01. Fine Without You - the only thing that really bothers me about this song is the beginning riff sounds like so many of there songs it kills me. Lyrically it's a pretty interesting song that deals with realtionship going bad. The chorus kinda feels like a guy anthem with matt shouting "I'll be fine without you." It's a pretty catchy song that you will find yourself listening to over and over again. Easily the best alkaline song on this disc. 02. Hating Every Minute - a dull starting song that sorta picks up but is a song you will slowly become tired of and forget about. An average song with some goods lyrics. 03. Dead And Broken - again a pretty average song this is where I realize that there wear not gonna be any amazing or groundbreaking song on Alkaline's part sadly. The chorus is catchy but its getting kinda stale. They don't need to change musically just more complex and interesting lyrics. 04. Sadie - if you have already bought crimson you will reconize this song just a less polished verison. Which I think like a pretty song lyrically about someone who nobody understands. Interesting guitars for a alkaline song. One of the best. 05. If You Had A Bad Time - only thing worth sayin is hear the chorus and you will be hooked guaranteed! 06. Wait For The Blackout - I couldn't even listen to this song more that twice all the way. Lets see repitive guitar, repitive lyrics, repitive song. That is the end of the Alkaline Trio side. Overall I think these where songs besides Sadie were runner ups for Crimson. This reallly kinda disappionted me I'm this by fare the worst Alkaline Trio songs execpt for Fine Without You, Dead And Broken, Sadie, and If You Had A Bad Time. Overall I give it a 6.9/10. Now time for One Man Army: 01. The TV Song - a great song with catchy guitar riffs fun creative lyrics. That can relate close to home. It's kinda a song that you never will get tired of if you listen to alot which is a good thing. The best song in my opinion. 02. The Hemophiliac - this song reminds me of a mix between a ramones song and a trio song and I'll tell you why. By the fact its got the rhythm of and guitar of the ramones. But the sick and gross metaphors of alkaline. Plus just long enough to not get repative. 03. All The Way - kinda a different feel from the first to songs with some piano followed by I believe one of the most catchiest guitar riffs ever with. "I've been losing and I've been dreaming I've been fighting and I've been drinking" with the most self relateable lyrics known to man. You will find yourself mumble lean the wors to everyone. 04. The Radio Gives Me A Labotamy - a true punk song that will make you think twice about turning on the radio. With some fun guitar and bass riffs and good drum loops. They could not go wrong with this song. 05. I.F.H.A. (One Love) - this was a decent song but kinda geeting old but is worth listning to just don't exspect to be amazed by this song. 6. Lets Call It An Evening - this a compilacated song to grasp. Atleast foe me I mean the lyrics on great. But the instruments kill the song in some way definaltley the worst song. After it I give it a 9.1/10. I was surprise by one man army they really shocked me. There simple which can be a smart move because alot of poeple this days can't grasp on to the more complicated songs there easy to digest and to understand a all around good band. Even thou alklaine wasn't amazing them plus one man army make this a buy for any fan of ether. All together the split LP gets a 8.8/10. // 8

Comments