Hot Thoughts review by Spoon

• Released: Mar 17, 2017
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Spoon: Hot Thoughts

There's been something that has not quite worked for me on the past few Spoon releases, and I am a Spoon fan, the issue has been a lack of coherence to some of the tracks that seem to throw off the balance of listening to the album as a whole. The main culprit is the album "Transference" from 2010 - I'm all for abstract music, but damn "Before Destruction" was just a clunker of a way to start an album off, and it really doesn't pick up till the third track, and then it gets spotty again, there is this almost forced lack of melody or musical coherence to it all, and then "They Want My Soul" came out, and it was an improvement but I found it to be somewhat void of memorable tracks as a whole. Those albums just didn't match the excellence or consistency of earlier records like "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" or "Gimmie Fiction" the latter being the strongest collection in my mind.

Now, here in 2017 we have a new Spoon release "Hot Thoughts", I was hesitant. But I went for it, and my first impression after listening to it in its entirely is FINALLY - this is the kind of record I've been waiting for Spoon to make again! The opening track is classic Spoon, catchy - different - full of little nuances - and contains these cool dirty guitar licks. It really get the record going and sets it up for success, next up comes the more ambient track "WhisperI'lllistentohearit" that really works well along with paving the way into the third track "Do I Have to Talk You Into It" a track that really picks the pace back up with a catchy dance-y number. Without going into a full on track by track review, folks it just doesn't let up from there, this is a great collection of tracks, Spoon feel as though they were on a roll with some heat here!

As I listen to this record again and again, it just has such a great flow, one that rewards and demands multiple full listens, and never gets boring or old, its just a flat out fun record to listen to! There is more energy, catchy melodies, memorable hooks, and over all more of an organic feel to this one, which are adjectives I haven't really felt about a Spoon Record since "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga".

If I had to single out one track as a favorite, besides the opener "Hot Thoughts", I'd have to say it would be "Shotgun". It's such a catchy, Spoon sounding song, it's what I love about these guys, and its the track that when I'm playing the record out loud it comes on towards the end and I have to go over and turn up the stereo! Then before you know it, its time to press repeat

Overall Great Record! I'm really enjoying this one, and recommend it. Maybe others really enjoyed the last two records more than I did, but if your like me and felt somewhat underwhelmed by them - you may want to give this one a spin for sure!

YouTube preview picture