Wake The Sleeping Giant Review

artist: Sputnik Monroe date: 10/24/2006 category: compact discs
Sputnik Monroe: Wake The Sleeping Giant
Release Date: 2005
Genres: Rock
Hey capitalist robots, this experimental indie/alternative band mixes crazy guitar effects with a funky high energy rhythm section, check them out.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Wake The Sleeping Giant Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2006

Sound: Every song is fantastic on this album. Three instrumentals, one slow song and the rest being upbeat and anthemic along with the almost operatic vocals, insane drumming, strange guitar, and funked-up bass. For any fan of rock music in general looking for something different, try out this indie band, a sure and promising band with only one album so far. Music holds up incredbly well under some of the weirdest circumstances, and it is just a very strong approach. This is quite a big statement, but I believe this band will be our next At the Drive-In, legendeary-wise, the music is just very "in your face" and energetic, it can be healing sometimes. // 10

Lyrics: I've only read 4 song lyrics and they are written well, going from war to slavery to other things I'm not quite certain they're talking about. Either way, they are very well-written. So far, I don't have the whole scoop on what the lyrics are about, so I don't really know if they comply with me. The singer, though, has a fantastic voice, it reminds me of a mix of Cedric Bixler Zavala in his days with ATDI, Jim Morrison from The Doors, Supertramp, and even some of the Beach Boys. The voice can reach many notes and it almost seems easy for him, I can't wait til he progresses. // 10

Overall Impression: This band is a stand-out compared to most bands. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's the way they execute the songs that make them sound so utterly fresh and inventive. My favorite songs are as follows: Run For Cover, Shouts At The Requiem, Leaving America, Tokio Sky Surprise, Knines. I love everything about this music and hate nothing about it. Great concise 42 minute, 9 song (Leaving America/Wake The Sleeping Giant, 1 song) album that holds no constraints to modern rock. Hopefully other bands will be influenced to change and sound a little, better or different. If stolen, my first priority in the world would be to get the album again. // 10

Comments