Line Review

artist: Square Rabbit date: 11/19/2008 category: compact discs
Released: Mar 1, 2005
Label: Square Rabbit
The music is slow, and quiet, with simple guitar parts and mildly interesting bass lines. The occasional song with a bit more kick really got going nicely, but some of the other songs could definitely use more "Oomph".
 3.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Line Reviewed by: Prisoner5, on november 19, 2008

Sound: First things first: there is no music "action" if you will that I do not like as a listener. Slow music, fast music, loud music, quiet music, move music, chill out music, all are good. Which is why I sort of liked this album, because it allowed me to pay more attention to the music and not the feel. Psychedelic rock has it's perks, but for this particular cd, I think a different style would've done a bit better. The music is slow, and quiet, with simple guitar parts and mildly interesting bass lines. The occasional song (Too Shy or Redhead were the big examples) with a bit more kick really got going nicely, but some of the other songs could definitely use more (in the words of my high school band teacher) "Oomph". The keyboard parts that porpoise in and out of the main focus are, while not entirely rare in the genre, still nice after listening to tons of bands with just a simple guitar-bass-drum line up. All in all, those who are fans of psychedelic rock should check it out, and those who are into classic rock too, for the occasional "oomph". // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically, this whole album is fairly impressive. After listening to platitude after platitude in modern music, this album takes some of the older ideas that seem inspired mostly by the Beatles and work with them, but adding some of themselves into it. The only problem with it all is the delivery system. The singer, who I have met and like as a person, is somewhat lacking in comprehensibility. His range can be quite high (the female back-up/secondary vocalist will often take the lower harmony), but he often sings through his teeth, buzzing like an angry fly. The harmonies are odd to the untrained ear, but those who understand some of them can appreciate the difficulty of singing those different parts and forming such strange chords (vocally). // 6

Overall Impression: The overall composition of the album is nice/decent. It can be improved upon, perhaps more so than most popular albums, but once one gets over some of the issues or becomes habituated to them, one can appreciate this work. My personal favorites were Redhead, Unwelcome Reflections, and Too Shy, the songs with more drive, where the guitar is more powerful than the voice (not to say that it drowns t out, they work intermittently). If I lost this album, I think I would buy it again, for nostalgic purposes. // 8

Comments