Hello Everything review by Squarepusher

• Released: Oct 17, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Squarepusher: Hello Everything

01. Hello Meow - when I first bought the album, I thought this was to be a song about kittens and the habits of felines, it was not. I was not dissapointed however, Tom relieves some serious tension with this track, it starts out with a nice basic drum beat and some Acid synths, the he busts his infamous Bass Guitar out and programs some smoothe Acid solos. Around the midpoint of the track you hear some Xylophone, and this nuts breakbeat pattern breaks in. Things just spiral outward from there, you can expect to hear a righteous bass solo! 02. Theme From Sprite - the title on this one I'm still not sure of! Still one of the most perplexing grooves I've witnessed on compact disk, this tune is a smoothe jazz funk fusion, great for just strutting around the streets at dawn, or going for a nice quiet ride downtown in the car. Filled with theory that I do not quite undertand myself yet, one of the greatest tunes I've heard in a long time. 03. Bubble Life - think about living underwater for a moment if you will, all the wonderful sounds that water makes, all the blips and pops of bubbles rising to the surface. Now imagine that programmed into a drum beat with some serious Bass improvization over it, that is the concept behind Bubble Life. An absolutely beautiful tune, simple and minimal. 04. Planetarium - a classic Squarepusher tune! Simply amazing breakbeats, and intense synthetic programming with live bass, it's like a caramel you just don't want to swallow, it's that good. If you're a fan of breakbeats and Acid synths, this is the track for you! 05. Vacuum Garden - this one, you're just going to have to listen to for yourself, words cannot describe it. 06. Circlewave 2 - something very unique indeed, starts off with the residue of Vacuum Garden, then adds a quietly played drumkit and some airy guitar riffs, very melodic. This is a good song to put children to sleep to. It holds about it an air of intrigue, and has some beautiful pad effects to it. 07. Cronecker King - absolutely bizarre, short track with backwards organ playing and reversed drumkits. Completely unexplainable. 08. Rotate Electrolye - epic track, one of the more intense tracks on the EP, Rotate Electrolye is very progressive by nature, as with much of Tom's music, but this one I would say is the most progressive of the lot, adding addictive drum loops like there is no tomorrow! Around two minutes and twenty five seconds, we come to a halt with introspective pads, then a crash of cymbal and the progressive kicks back in. By the end of this track you are completely lost in the music, and when it's over, you still crave more. 09. Welcome To Europe - defined as the original Squarepusher sound, this track is just plain ear candy, with bizarre abstract melodies and beautiful breaks, it is simply amazing in every way. 10. Plotinus - this one, it still gets me, because at the beginning of the track there is the most amazing contrast I have ever heard, which I still can't pinpoint. The progressive nature of the drums in this song amazes me, you can tell that it is completely electronic. It is almost impossible to stop listening to this track, and then near the end it manages to turn itself into sheer buzz that makes you want to eject the CD right away! 11. The Modern Bass Guitar - best bloody beat on the album! This track is absolute, it is eternity. My feeble mind could not possibly give this track the justice it rightly deserves, all I'm going to say is that it's great, and you should buy the CD just for this track. 12. Orient Orange - the final track, it leaves us with an introspective grasp of oriental music, at least in Tom's mind, very abstract and ambient, an epic track to say the least, but it's well worth hearing out for the soundscape.

I regret to inform you that not all music has spoken lyric to it. I know what you're thinking "That is a complete and total blasphemy, and musical existance just isn't possible without lyrics of any sort!" Ah, but I say to you, have you forgotten times of yore, when music was purely instrumental and we had beautiful sonnets, and ballads, and arias? What of those times? Must all music have a plight to it, can't we just have music for the sake of music? When will this madness end?

Definitely one of the turning points of the century, I look at this as the music of the future, stuff everybody will know one day. The kind of music you can imagine listening to in bubble houses in the sky. Greatest track on the album is the Modern Bass Guitar for sheer genious and the effort that Tom put into it. I would definitely buy the album again, but let's just hope it stays in tact for a couple more years.

I floss daily
    Sonnet - n. - 1.Prosody. a poem, properly expressive of a single, complete thought, idea, or sentiment, of 14 lines, usually in iambic pentameter, with rhymes arranged according to one of certain definite schemes, being in the strict or Italian form divided into a major group of 8 lines (the octave) followed by a minor group of 6 lines (the sestet), and in a common English form into 3 quatrains followed by a couplet. Way to go.
    Acid_Paint
    Nobody said it was supposed to make sense dear. It was mere pointlessness used to fill space.