The Unlikely, Yet Inseperable Bodyguard. Review

artist: Squawking Ducks date: 01/04/2006 category: compact discs
The Squawking Ducks continue to provide a fresh, unique sound, combined with often humorous lyrics and tons of surprises. The tracks tend to rely heavily on keyboards and distorted guitar to create the unique sound of the Ducks.
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
The Unlikely, Yet Inseperable Bodyguard. Reviewed by: ElectricParade, on july 02, 2004

Sound: The sound of the Squawking Ducks' newest - 3rd - release easily exceeds that of Pots of Smoke, or Time Is Up. The sound of The Unlikely, Yet Inseperable Bodyguard is low quality in the area of recording, but everything else is innovative, over-the-top, and humorous. The tracks tend to rely heavily on keyboards and distorted guitar to create the unique sound of the Ducks, setting them far apart from any other artist I've heard. I must also mention the diversity of this album - Everything from country ("Mulloon") to techno/dance (an exclusive remix of "Racinette") to slow, meaningful acoustic rock ("Love Story From Hell"). Another innovation that the duo presents is their covers, reworked to suit their unique, and often eccentric style. It is clear, that in terms of sound, the Squawking Ducks have outdone themselves again. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the Squawking Ducks have always been different, and they continue that way on Bodyguard. Many are improvised, some are original works, and some are re-worked from existing lyrics by the band. It is this diversity that impresses me most, alongside that of the styles of music the band ranges. The songs tend to keep coming back to the same subject matter, but often wander in many different, previously unexplored directions. The singer skills are not perfect, and pseudo-metal songs like "The Pharoh (Let Israel Go)" and "In the Beginning", the Squawking Ducks' two female vocalists seem to have to wrestle with their screaming abilities. But I think this is outweighed by everything else that falls into this category, so in my books, The Unlikely, Yet Inseperable Bodyguard gets a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: To compare this album to albums by other artists would be like proverbially comparing apples to oranges. The Squawking Ducks continue to provide a fresh, unique sound, combined with often humorous lyrics and tons of surprises. This release certainly has something for everyone, no matter what kind of music one enjoys - No lie, this duo does everything. I believe this album is worth every red cent, and if I lost it, I would definately pick up another copy. My favorite songs are "The Pharoh (Let Israel Go)", "The Acid Trip Song (The Crusted Lands of Heart and Soul) AKA Seasons in Hell", "Junebugs", and "Racinette". I can't say that I dislike anything about theis album. I think everyone should listen to the Squawking Ducks - They are a truly one of a kind music experience to be reckoned with, and The Unlikely, Yet Inseperable Bodyguard is their best album yet. // 10

The Unlikely, Yet Inseperable Bodyguard. Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: I must say that the Squawking Ducks have quite an interesting array of different sounds. Ranging from country, to thrash metal, to rap and back, they are truly unique. In all my years, I have never heard such precise and beautiful music. Precise and beautiful as in it puts my mind at ease. Even though they lack in good recording quality, I think it adds to the sheer uniqueness and freshness of the Ducks. They are truly an underground, non-mainstream, original band as they evade the cliche of making music with proper recoring equipment. Rebelling against the mainstream recording practices, the Squawking Ducks are paving themselves a path fame. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply astounding; the Ducks are literature geniuses. Their words speak to me deep within my soul, and they prove to be quite diverse and original. In "Love story from Hell" they speak of death, love, tragedy, and Hell in such a casual, perverse, humorous and tragic way that I am flooded with emotions when I listen to it. "Well we'll sing about a guy, his name was Jefferson/It was a long time ago, when Jefferson was hit by a westbound truck. /But we won't sing about him, 'cause that's too depressing". These lyrics; speaking of death in such a blunt, yet beautiful way that it hurts. And the casualness of them stating it is too depressing to sing about really let me know how original these artists are. They obviously feel for Jefferson. Love story from Hell is a gem, full of deep words. Another one of my favorite lyrics is the closing of Racinette (Le Faguette). It is rather the way the lyrics are sung as opposed to the actual lyrics themselves: "Ohhhh my god, girlfriends." The emotion that she invokes into this line astounds me every time. Overall, the lyrics are incredible. Deep and feeling, humorous and sickening. As for the vocal skills of the two female singers of the Ducks, they are quite original. Although they do not possess the vocal skills of Christina Alguilara or Maddonna, and seem to struggle at times with their singing, it is all a part of their original, not conforming sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This is incomparable to any other artist, band or CD. It is way ahead of everything in it's league. In fact, the Squawking Ducks are in their own league; the league of Extrordinary Music Makers. The Ducks make new meaning for the words "good music." Some of the most impressive songs off The Unlikely, Yet Inseperable Bodyguard are Racinette (Gay Soul Remix), Junebugs 4 Lyfe, Mulloon, The Pink Razor, and The Pharoh (Let Isreal Go). I love this album. I can honestly say that there is not one thing that I dislike about this CD, maybe other than the fact that I wish there were more songs on it. // 10

Comments