14 Shades of Grey review by Staind

• Released: May 19, 2003
Staind: 14 Shades of Grey

This album is probably the most melodic of Stainds albums yet. If you are a fan of the heavy powerful songs, 'Price To Play' will have you hooked. On the other hand, if you like the calmer, more melodic rock music, 'So Far Away' will have you hooked. For fans of rock music overall this albums sound will be as good as any, for melodic rock fans, there will be times when you ask yourself 'why?', as there will be for just for the heavy rock fans out there. Overall, though, I think the album uses better effects than that off 'Break The Cycle', and also has an easier sound to listen to than 'Break The Cycle'.

One of my favourite things about Staind are their lyrics. They are all so heart felt and with some songs I feel as if I relate. Especially on this album. The lyrics to 'Fade Away' are brilliant. 'Zoe Jane' is a heartfelt account of how Aaron Lewis feels about his new daughter, and it works well. I don't think any of the lyrics on this album, bar 'Fade Away' match up to the lyrics off 'Break The Cycle' though. It seems that for this album, they have really just focussed solely on the music.

I really enjoy listening to this album, and I would recommend other people to buy it. It will not be for everyone. Heavy rock fans may be dissapointed by the lack of 'heavier' songs, but more general rock fans will be pleased with this album, as it touches alot of areas many other 'nu-metal/grunge' bands do not. The album has alot of ups, e.g.'Intro', 'So Far Away', 'Fade Away', but also has the downs e.g. 'Layne. If you're looking for a record to mosh to - avoid. If you want a nice heartfelt melodic rock album - buy it.