14 Shades of Grey review by Staind

• Released: May 19, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Staind: 14 Shades of Grey

Aaron Lewis has a good voice and there are some good guitar parts on here, but the sound is mostly mellow and slow, leaving the album unbalanced with 90% of the disc being slow songs. Also, few songs are very catchy, the only songs I really liked were Price To Play, How About You, and I thought So Far Away was alright. I never cared much for all of the other songs, though.

The lyrics are good, Staind is good at writing songs, and Aaron Lewis makes them work on certain songs. However, I found some songs, like Yesterday, Fray, and Layne to be rather irritating, and they could have done a lot more to make those songs alot better and make better use of the lyrics. So, while the lyrics aren't bad, they pale in comparison to the raw and emotional lyrics from Break The Cycle.

Overall, being a big fan of Staind, and a huge fan of the Break The Cycle album, I have to say I am not impressed with this album at all. I just never liked it very much. I thought it just felt forced and dull. If you're wanting a great Staind album, pick up Break The Cycle, and maybe download Price To Play, but I can't recommend this album. I hope Chapter V is way better than this when it comes out next month.