Chapter V review by Staind

• Released: Aug 9, 2005
Staind: Chapter V

Chapter V, Staind's 5th album (for those that don't know, Tormented was their first), was the first album that I've ever bought the day it came out, and needless to say, it wasn't a waste of time or money. This album has a better mix of heavy and slow songs, as apposed to 14 Shades Of Gray, their last album. Pretty good drum work by Jon, and to my surprise there's actually a couple solos on the disc, something that I don't believe has been done on a Staind record in the past. Overall the sound on the CD appeals to different types of listeners, from people who prefer heavy songs to casual listeners.

When you see a Staind CD, you think depressing lyrics from Aaron Lewis and several angry songs, right? Well, compared to a CD like Dysfunction, it's not even close. Sure, there are a couple songs such as Please or Cross To Bear (I guess) that are negative, but no real depressing songs on this CD. Either way, the lyrics are still very good with a lot of different topics that Aaron wrote about, and very good vocal skills too, particularily on Take This. If you're a fan of screaming in songs though, you'll be disappointed, because the bridge of King Of All Excuses is the only place you'll find Aaron screaming.

In my opinion, Chapter V is, like guitarist Mike Mushok said, some of the best material Staind has done. If they do more singles after Right Here and Falling, I think that Everything Changes, Take This and either King Of All Excuses or Reply should be singles as well. There isn't a song that I can't listen to on the record though, so that's a good thing. If I lost it or had it stolen then I'd definately buy it again.