Chapter V review by Staind

• Released: Aug 9, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Staind: Chapter V

As far as sound goes, Staind is delivering the roughly same sound that came out of the (amazing) third CD they released Break The Cycle. The only difference is that it isn't as good on Chapter V. Although the album has its strong points where Mushok's brick wall of power chords and Aaron Lewis's emotional (but not emo) voice collide perfectly (Run Away, Paper Jesus). Yet on other songs, the raw heaviness tends to implode (Take This, King Of All Excuses).

I really don't think its possible for Aaron Lewis to write bad lyrics. Whether he sings an ultimate love song (Right Here) or speaks of personal horrors (Falling), Lewis can usually bring out the best of his band in his lyrics. Still, despite whatever the band posted on their website about how this is the best material they have ever done, it is not. The lyrics of Chapter V don't nearly compare to the songs of Break the Cycle that portrayed a sick world of hate and crime.

I love Staind, and I hate to bash them, but after reaching their musical hiatis on Break the Cycle, Staind hasn't realesed much to make one say wow. Despite its shortcomings, this album has its strong points and overall, is much better then its predecessor 14 Shades of Grey (an entire 14 tracks devoted to Lewis's new daughter. Even when singing a tribute to the late, great Layne Stanley, he couldn't stop talking about his daughter). This album is good, but I can't say it amounts to any previous masterpieces of theirs.