Dysfuction review by Staind

• Released: Apr 13, 1999
Staind: Dysfuction

This is Dysfunction by Staind. It is their first album, not counting "Tormented", which was self released by the band. Here I will go through and review/rate every individual track. 01. Suffocate: one of my favorites from the album. The song starts off with a chord which progressively gets louder, then leads into the intro riff. This is a great song because, like many Staind songs, it fuses melody and heavy guitar riffs. 8.5/10 02. Just Go: one of the weaker songs off the album. It is definitely not bad, but not great. 7/10 03. Me: probably my favorite song off the album. It isn't as heavy as some of the songs, for instance the opener "Suffocate", or the track following this one, "Raw", but it is very melodic and powerful. 10/10 04. Raw: one of the best on the album. The song has to be one of, if not the heaviest song on the album. It has heavy guitar riffs, great vocals provided by Aaron Lewis, and is all around a great song. 9.5/10 05. Mudshovel: starting out with a catchy but simple Bass line, "Mudshovel" is recognized today as one of Staind's biggest songs. Its simple but great. 8.5/10 06. Home: good song. Not great, but better then mediocre. It is the only song featuring Aaron Lewis playing the acoustic guitar, but as Staind has evolved, acoustics have become a big part of Staind and their biggest hits. It isn't as good as, say, "Me" or "Raw", but it is none the less a good song, and a good addition to the album. 7.5/10 07. A Flat: this is a another not great, not bad song. The song contains great parts, like the bridge, but aside from those little glimpses of greatness, has become just another track. There is no doubt this is a good song, but it isn't the best on the album. 8/10 08. Crawl: it contains one of the best and most unique riffs on the album, that being the intro riff. During the chorus it gets a little soft, with some kind of synth thing going on. The bridge takes the heaviness of the intro riff and adds to it. 8.5/10 09. Spleen: this is another good song. It starts with an awesome, complex drum intro, and rolls into an awesome, heavy riff. Then comes the vocals. Aaron gives his awesome, but rare growl. It gets a little repetitive, which is really bad because this song could have been better if they just let up on the line "Can't breath, shut up, shut up", which they repeat in between every other line during the verses, but none the less, its a good song. 8/10 Hidden Track: Excess Baggage: this is a hidden track, which starts around 11 or 12 minutes after "Spleen" ends. Its all Aaron in this one, singing and playing the acoustic guitar. Thats all there really is to say about the song. Its pretty basic, but none the less an awesome acoustic track. 8.5/10

The lyrics are great. Aaron Lewis is great at writing lyrics, a lot of them are dark and depressing, but this is a Metal record, what did you expect? When you listen to them, it feels like Aaron is telling you everything going wrong in his life, like in a personal conversation. But, with all lyrics, and all types of music, it all depends on what floats your boat. I think the lyrics and the music compliment each other. In some songs like "Me" the lyrics are really depressing, dark, and melodic, just like the guitar riffs.

I would definitely recommend this album. Its all around a great album. Its got a little of everything, heavy stuff, melodic stuff, acoustic stuff. I would say the best songs on the album are "Me" and "Raw". The weakest would be "Just Go", in my opinion of course. But over all every song on the album is good, some are just better then others. The thing I love about the record is the variety. If I want to listen to something heavy, I'll skip to "Raw" or "Crawl". If I wanna listen to something dark and melodic I can listen to "Me". If I wanna listen to an acoustic song I can play "Excess Baggage". There is so much great music packed into one album. That what makes this album stand out. If it was stolen or lost, I would *try* to find another copy. It took me about 8 months of looking around until I actually found this album, but it is well worth the wait.