Tormented review by Staind

• Released: Nov 29, 1996
Staind: Tormented

Although the album's sound didn't appeal to many, I loved it! The sound of the screaming was pretty good too. Singer Aaron Lewis was actually suicidal during this time period, with Tormented and Dysfunction, but it really contributed to a lot of great songs! It's a shame it's out of print or I'd definitely get it! 01. Tolerate: To kick off the album, a gun is loaded and cocked. Then we get a cool, feedback laden riff. 02. Come Again: The single off the album. I can't really think of something for this one lol! 03. Break: A creepy chorus effected riff with sudden loud and soft dynamics. It also has the first "solo" on the album, although just a short lick. 04. Painful: I can't really make out the notes in Mike's riff (just like the rest of the album haha), but it's pretty cool! It also has the first actual solo, with hilarious tremolo picking I might add! 05. Nameless: The second riff before the verse is one of my favorite riffs on the album. I love the screaming at the end! 06. Mudshuvel: This is the earlier version of Mudshovel, which later appeared on Dysfunction, the version I personally like better. The harmonic riff is pretty good, though. 07. See Thru: "What is your f***ing problem?!" lol I play that to people at my school! The first riff with the pinch harmonics is another one of my album favorites. The bridge with the whispering, and later talking, is my favorite part of the song. 08. Question?: I noticed, like probably everyone else, that the drums in the beginning are almost exactly the same as in No One's Kind before the solo. For some reason, there's no swearing, which is kinda weird. 09. No One's Kind: Aaron sings kinda funny in this one, eventually singing unintelligibly. There's also a hilarious "I'll kill you!" several times. We also get a supercool solo with the funniest "I'll kill you!" proceeding. 10. Self Destruct: Great dynamics! "I think I'm gonna, think I'm gonna, I WILL SELF DESTRUCT!" 11. 4 Walls: Here's a nice ending to a heavy, nightmare inducing album! "The thoughts from my mind feel the pain as rats claw at my flesh/smell the stench as s*** runs down my leg" hahaha priceless! And finally to wrap it up, the gun loaded and cocked at the beginning is fired. 12. The Funeral: Several minutes after the gunshot, we get a funeral scene. I actually don't like it at all. Being 20 minutes of just about nothing, it's the only part of the album I don't like.

The lyrics here are great! A7X's Nightmare, Ozzy's Black Rain, Metallica's Load, and Tool's Lateralus are the only other albums I've heard with awesome lyrics all the way through! And they go great with the music too! Aaron Lewis is and always has been one of the best singers I've ever heard.

You can't possibly find any comparison between this and any of Staind's other work besides Dysfunction. It's just too different. The Funeral is all I don't like about the album. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably cry (jk lol, I'd be pissed!) because it's out of print. Anyway, see ya!