Built On Squares review by Starlight Mints

• Released: May 20, 2003
  • Users' score: 6 (1 vote)
Starlight Mints: Built On Squares

So now, we come to the Starlight Mints sophmore album. Once again, they deliver another great album that is almost as infectious as "The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of." If you compare the two albums obviously their debut was much better (I'd suggest buying that one first, then this one). Both their albums hold their ground by themselves, though. "Built On Squares" seems a little more depressing and not as upbeat as "The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of" was. There's points in the album when they try to break through the creativity brought to you on the debut-album, but are just not able to pull it off. The sound though, is the same on both albums. Both are wildly out there and creatively witty.

The lyrics just don't compel you as much as on the other album. They must have gone through a hard time somewhere between the 3 years seperating the two album because it seems a lot more sad. Hopefully their new album will combine the ideas (happy, joyful) of the first album with the ideas (mournful, dark) of this one. There's still something that grabs your attention, and that's what the Starlight Mints are good for.

Same problem as the debut: it's just too short. If they could add more songs it would be so awesome, but paying $12 for something that lasts 30 or so minutes is a little hard to comprehend when you're just getting into a band. I would definitely pay for it if I was you, but I'm just thinking from your perspective. It's well worth the money. And well worth the money again, if stolen, but be aware of the time, and try to go for the other album first. It's a wonderful, and great album to spend your time listening to. I love it, and I hope you will too.

grahamby
    What a terrible review. I'm curious, did you write this on crack? The lyricism on Built on Squares is easily some of Vest's most creative, and I have absolutely no idea how you see it as lees upbeat than The Dream Stuff Was Made of. Did you even listen to the album? Your conclusion is equally as awful. Did you really just give a bad review because there weren't enough songs? Are you kidding me? Don't quit your day job buddy.