The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of Review

Starlight Mints: The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of
Released: Aug 22, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Experimental, Indie Rock, Dream Pop, Indie Pop, Noise Pop
It embraces everything from rapturously Bowie-esque melodrama to odd Middle Eastern textures to pure noise cacophony.
 8.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of Reviewed by: lifeofagitbox, on may 02, 2005

Sound: Oh yes, Indie pop. And oh yes, I am finally writing the reviews for the Starlight Mints that I promised about 4 months ago. Anywho, the Starlight Mints are an in-depth, woven, melodic, happy band. Even on their sad songs there's a twist of sarcasm or a sense of hidden, melancholy joy. All of their songs just reach out and scream for your attention, and in no way can you not give it to them. A sense of flushed happiness and revitalized indie come with this album. Whn you listen to it it just overwhelms you. No other band (except maybe the new wave of indie artists) can match their quirky antics. Their use of violins only enhances the power behind their songs. Bands like The Arcade Fire and Eisely use violins, but not in the same way as the Starlight Mints do. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just great. As simplistic and off-the-wall comedic as they are. To prove my point: on the song "Matador" he sais "I tried to fly you back to the sun, and you were attacked by giant centipedes, and no I'm set free, now I'm set free, now I'm set free" or the song "Margarita" which is a semi-sad song about Margarita the Octopus, and who can resist the incredible greatness of their song "Sugar Blaster" with it's infectious sounds and lyrics. I don't think the Starlight Mints lyrics could work with any other music besides their's. It would sound wretched if it turned out that way, but with the Starlight Mints, and the absurdnesss behind the lyrics: it works. // 10

Overall Impression: All of these songs are radio-friendly. Granted, you'll probably never hear them on the radio because not that many people know about them. Every song is worthy to be it's own single. How many bands really have any albums that are worthy of that? I love every song. The only problem is: every song besides a few, as infectious as they are, are pretty short. Making the album come out to be something like 31 min. or something. If you decide to download or buy the album just remember: every song is worthy of your admiration. // 8

Comments