Every Solution Has Its Problem review by Start Trouble

• Released: Mar 23, 2004
Start Trouble: Every Solution Has Its Problem

Start Trouble, a name few people would be likely to recognize. They're (or were) a pop/punk/rock band signed on Columbia Records. Early '04 saw the release of "Every Solution Has Its Problem", followed by the bands quick act of fading away into obscurity. Now that you know who they are/were, onto the CD. Every Solution Has Its Problem was met with low reviews. It was scored this way I think, because every review seems to judge them against bands they sound nothing like and who they have nothing in common with other than the subject matter of their songs (examples: Bloodhound Gang, Blink 182, and the Beastie Boys). If they could be compared to anything, Lit meets the immaturity and crazyiness of Mindless Self Indulgence would be the closest; but it's a stretch. In truth these guys were more like the epitome of childish, party, punk-rock. But that's not such a bad thing, especially if you listen to them without previously be a fan of the sort of music they're compared against. Start Trouble's music is simple and to the point, and I believe that's what they were going for. If you can keep this in mind while listening to them, chances are you'll find something to enjoy. as for "Let's Get F--ked Up," I'll let you draw your own conclusions from it if you choose to hear it. I've heard people say everything from "worst song ever" and "complete s--t" to "greatest party anthem of all time." To describe it, I'll say it sounds like rap meets punk, played over some classical music, with a few of the most offensive lyrics you've ever heard. Good stuff.

As I mentioned, Start Trouble follows the songwriting subjects of many generic punk rock bands. Most of the music deals with relationships, drugs, partying, and sex. For the sake of comparison, the lyrics are an odd combination of Sublime, Blink 182, Lit, and a handfull of bad relationships. The lead singer, Luke Walker, belts out a suprising range of vocals, but rarely puts more than one of them to use. All in all the music flows really well with the hard partying/sex/breakup song lyrics.

Like I said at the top, you can easily compare them to countless other bands, but Start Trouble is unique. It's unfair to judge them against mainstream bands like Blink 182, and say that Start Trouble is just a lame attempt at ripping them off. Personally I love this album for the same reason I loved "Smash" by The Offspring. It's just good, dirty fun with a complete lack of seriousness. I would say that Start Trouble is almost a contradiction of itself in that they are billed as making "teen-rebel" music while their lyrics show otherwise. Getting back to the point, wether or not you have any regaurd for authority, if you can enjoy shameless, vulgar, punk music you'll get a kick outta "Every Solution Has Its Problem." If I lost this CD or it was stolen I'd probably invest in a new one (you can find them pretty cheap anyways).

almosthuman36
    I'd have to agree with you. My friend introduced me to this band about a year ago and I really liked what I heard. When I did some further research on who the band was, and buying their album, I discovered they were poorly reviewed. Which to me, didn't make sense because some of their songs are really catchy. But I am the type of person who enjoys "good, dirty fun with a complete lack of seriousness."