Starz Review

Starz: Starz
Released: Aug 21, 1976
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Capitol
"Starz" is the debut album for the band Starz, a hard rock and heavy metal band from the birthplace for many great bands, New Jersey. This debut album is a really amazing album overall, and also helps introduce Starz to the music scene.
 7.5
 8.7
 6.2
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Starz Reviewed by: CinderellaFan14, on january 24, 2012

Sound: "Starz" is the debut album for the band Starz, a hard rock and heavy metal band from the birthplace for many great bands, New Jersey. Starz makes themselves known with a sudden flash of brilliance, and are loved so much, they're later noted as an influence for great bands such as Motley Crue, Poison, and Twisted Sister! The album as well as the group sound very similar to the band UFO, and make a very great album. The album starts out beautifully with the hit "Detroit Girls". This song as well as the entire album has an arena rock/hard rock sound to it, and the band pulls it off perfectly with this song. The next song, "Live Wire", gives the same great feeling and sound. Both of these songs have a nice, moderate rock beat, which makes the songs very easy to rock out to. The next song, "Tear It Down", gives a much more dominant guitar sound to it, while keeping the same tempo and beat as the previous two songs. "Boys In Action" starts out with an AC/DC-like intro, and then kicks into a hard rocking beat and a faster tempo than the other songs on the album. We lose the nice, fast paced tempo with the next song, "(She's Just A) Fallen Angel". This song decides to take it nice and slow, and the UFO similarities are very noticeable in this song. "Monkey Business" brings the tempo back up to the hard rocking beat. "Over And Over" also has a fast paced tempo, and sounds very similar to UFO. "Pull The Plug" brings back the slow tempo we heard in "Fallen Angel". It's overall a really good song, and is similar to the song "Space Child". However, it may be the last song that is the best on this album. "Now I Can" sounds almost exactly like a KISS track, especially the chorus. This is personally my favorite song on the album, but every song on this album is amazing. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for the entire album sound just how an 80's rock album should, and the lyrics flow perfectly with the music. No out of place vocals, just great music. // 9

Overall Impression: This debut album is a really amazing album overall, and also helps introduce Starz to the music scene. I love the great hard rock sound that dominates most of the album. The most impressive songs on the album have to be: 1. Now I Can 2. Live Wire 3. Detroit Girls 4. (She's Just A) Fallen Angel 5. Boys In Action I love the UFO sound that comes out in some of their songs. I also love the new material and sound that Starz brings to the table. I don't like the tempo of some of the songs, especially "Pull The Plug". The tempo never changes in this song, and it's almost boring to listen to. The rest of the album is excellent. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but I'd also pick up another album while I was at the store. This album is really great, and I recommend that any rock lover should give this album a listen. Starz is one of those lost in time, amazing bands, and the prove their worth with this album. // 9

Comments