Us Against The Crown review by State Radio

• Released: Feb 7, 2006
State Radio: Us Against The Crown

State Radio was expected from the start to make original and inventive music. This expectation came from their roots in Dispatch. On Us Against the Crown, their first full album, they do not disappoint. They have heavy reggae and ska influences yet also go into an extremely fast paced vocal track coming close to rapping on Gunship Politico. State Radio is a welcome savior to music fans who enjoy originality instead of dime a dozen metal and American Idol groups put together by big record labels. The only problem is there are a few weak tracks such as Sybil, Diner Song, and Calvados Chopper but they are easily overlooked.

Chad Urmston as always is very political. There are a few personal songs although such as Camilo which is about a friend of the band who applied as a Conscientious Objector in order to not go back to Iraq and was put in jail for being Absent Without Leave (AWOL). Another personal track is Mr. Larkin, a song about an old man the band knew who, in order to afford the cost of living in a nursing home, worked in the kitchen to pay for his wife's care. Sadly his wife died but he still works there and has made many friends.

My overall impression of State Radio is such that if any of their albums were lost or stolen I would buy another copy the very same day. It is not fair to compare State Radio to any artists other than Dispatch because they are so original. State Radio does carry Dispatch's torch very well and any fan of either should enjoy the other's music. The most impressive songs are People to People, Camilo, Right Me Up, Man in the Hall (sort of a dance rhythm song, very catchy), and Gunship Politico. I do not hate anything about this release. Overall it is one of the best listening experiences I have ever had. No Regrets.

food1010
    Sybil, Diner Song, and Calvados Chopper are some of my favorite songs, I wouldn't classify them as weak tracks.
    canadianzscarem
    Sorry, food1010, i agree that Sybil, Diner Song, and Calvados Chopper are better than most other bands' best songs combined but compared to the rest of the album they are not as good. I do like those songs. I like everything they do, those three just don't match the rest of the album where some songs from demos are better, such as Fight No More off of the Peace Between Nations EP.
    its_sublime07
    Sybil is probably the best acoustic song I have ever heard, and the Diner Song? If you saw them live you would completely disagree. He uses a guitar made of a gasoline can, and it is one of the most moving things ever
    mister bass guy
    I have to agree with the other three. Sybil, Diner Song, and Calvados Chopper are all my favorites off the album.