Cannibal review by Static-X

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Static-X: Cannibal

Wayne Static and co are back. Armed with heavy guitars, wicked solos, and knives. Hide the children and grab a fork, because they're hungry. Cannibal. It's not without it's faults, so don't come expecting another Wisconsin Death Trip, but it's certainly a step (bite) in the right direction. I've always loved the Evil Disco. My first Static-X album was actually Start A War, which was pretty cool but got old fast. Next, a few random songs, then I finally got my hands on Wisconsin Death Trip. Static-X has moved on, like it or not, and we're not going to get another WDT. That's not to say Cannibal is a dissapointment, any Static-X fan will rejoice, because Cannibal kicks much harder than Start A War. Most of the songs are just incredibly addicting. The Static-X sound is known for simple verses and such, but they've stepped up a bit. There's a great deal of energy in almost every song, something that many bands lack. As always, the drumming is fast and disco-like, which really pumps the songs. So far I haven't seen the bowel-shattering bass from WDT, though. There's plenty of techno-ish sound effects which are nice, but I do miss the heavy odd industrial feel, the album feels a bit stripped down. But the solos certainly make up for that. They've gone from next to no solos to a solo in almost every song. First time I listened to the album, I thought it was overkill, but when you listen again they really grow on you. The solo in Cannibal was drool-worthy enough, if ears can drool. Others would be No Submission, Behemoth, Cuts You Up. For a first attempt at solos, they're all well-thought out and sound great, never contrasting or breaking against the rest of the song. There's probably more- I've only listened to the album a couple of times.

I've never known Wayne for his lyrical prowess. Don't come looking for Shakespeare or anything, if you want Shakespeare in your music you've got other problems. Take the lines like "Rip it stronger grind it longer/ Harder faster rabbit master" from Cannibal. No clue what that means, but coming from Wayne it's not that far off. Other lines like "Turn around/ Freak out/ Drop out/ Go again" just fit in with the music, even if you're left wondering what any of it means. Vocal wise, I've always been fond of Wayne's voice. The angry shredded whisper, that's as close as I can put it into words. As always, his voice really fits in with the music. The style isn't as varied as in, say, WDT, but I say his singing skills have evolved since Start A War.

This just may be my favorite Static-X album. Don't get me wrong, I mean, Wisconsin Death Trip is in a class by itself. Never got Machine or Shadow Zone, unfortunately. Start A War was okay, but it got old pretty fast. Cannibal, on the other hand, just sounds so much more promising. My favorite songs so far would be: Cannibal, No Submission, Behemoth, Cuts You Up, Chroma-Matic, and Destroyer. The only one I don't care for is Reptile, it's a bit out there and might take a few more listens before I either like it or I don't. The only true negative to this album is that it's short. About thiry-six minutes. Twelve tracks, the longest one being 3:51. So there's always the factor that once you listen to this album for a month, you might get sick of it and never touch it again, i.e. Start A War. Though I think that might not be the case this time. If this album were stolen/lost, I'd definitely buy it again. Besides the fact that it's already on iTunes and my iPod, and I wouldn't lose it anyways. This album is addicting and deserves to be heard, but if anyone stole it from me I'd break out a shovel (Gasp! 'I'm With Stupid' reference) and hunt them down. To Static-X fans, grab this album. It's definitely worth it. To Static-X haters, go ahead and stay ignorant, but know that you're missing out. To the random few reading this review for no apparent reason, at least check out the singles and decide if cannibalism is for you.