Cannibal review by Static-X

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Static-X: Cannibal

Well, Static X's sound hasn't changed all that much, but they defiantly came through when they said this album was going to more more raw and heavy. When you first put the album in and the title song starts to play you get an aggressive rush of energy as the song explodes right off the bat. The whole album is pretty much constant with being very rough, and heavy but of course there is a lot of industrial tinges and sampling down which I think really adds flavor to the chugging guitar riffs.

Wayne Static's lyrics have always been a little so-so, at least to me. Of course his singing style is the key element of Static X. Although his lyrics aren't life changing scripts, they, combined with his trademark voice makes for a very nice metal sound. In the song Behemoth he starts to really remind you of Dez Fafara of Devildriver, which to me is a great thing.

I think this album is great, and that they have come a long way. I've got tickets to go see them in two weeks and I am very excited about seeing some of these songs play live, specially Cannibal. I recommend this for any industrial metal fan! It has really lived up to my expectations (which is saying something), the only downfall is that all though it's a very solid album, there aren't really any standouts other then Cannibal. If it were lost I'd be pist, but I do not think I would rush right back out to the store to replace it.

iammetal
    I wasnt impressed. People say its the heaviest album they have done, and i strongly disagree. Ive been a pretty loyal static x fan but this time i have to put my foot down. It sounds like they wrote this in 3 weeks....and 2 takes. Some songs appeal to me, but not like the old static-x did. No need to sugar coat this album, even if you are a big fan of their past material, you cant deny that this shows a lack of effort.
    boyan89
    if this album has solos it must be the shiznit:S cuz I love albums with solos!!
    (:NiCe!)
    I expected something like their old stuff - more effects, less guitars, as in WDT. But this album is good in its own way, I don`t think that their problem is in the lack of effort. We must just agee, that music changes, and we can`t expect a band to return to their old shit. Look at Korn, look at SOAD, it happens everywhere... But still, I like this album, even if it isn`t a step in an expected direction.)
    Covin
    If it weren't for the solos, this album would be absolutely nothing. I'm seriously surprised it's getting as much praise as it is.
    GetTheGasoline
    the only great static-x album was wisconsin death trip. it has been downhill climb since then
    DisturbedIbanez
    This album is complete and utter garbage. Its like they put all their past records in a blender, shat on them and produced it as an album. The worst album in years.
    Ph03n!x
    It's good that the album has solos...but too bad that all of the solos are sh*t! And I really hate Wayne's meaningless vocals in this... Where have that great "Shadow Zone sound" gone???
    ohmerrymayhem
    This isn't even Static-X. What a crap shoot of sloppy thrash and manic, useless speed. The only person on this album who deserves a gold star is the drummer. He's phenominal. Otherwise a total waste of time. I'm glad I listened before buying. Back to basics, our old sound, my ass. COmparing this to Wisconsin Death Trip should be punishable by death. Lame.
    aenimafist
    Why the hell did they get rid of the industrialism so to say. It sounded totally tenacious and aggressive when that was it.
    lostprophets63
    It's not Wisconsin Death Trip. We're not going to get another one. Get over yourselves. If you're not into their new sound, that's fine, but it's no reason to bash Static-X. They're moving on, regardless of whether you will or not.
    FBA Ac1d
    Static-X rules. All bands move on to different sounds and theres always though few fans who hate it. Tough...Static rules.
    Sintera666
    boyan89 wrote: if this album has solos it must be the shiznit:S cuz I love albums with solos!!
    Solos dont flow with the songs! It's incredible that they did this CD! LACK OF EFFORT! Cant they make songs that dont always sound the same throughout!