Cannibal review by Static-X

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Static-X: Cannibal

"Cannibal," for all intents and purposes, is more of the same for Static-X. It's definitely a return to form, though. "Shadow Zone," despite being a solid offering from the band, strayed too far from the formula established by their first two albums. "Cannibal" is very reminiscent of the early days of Static-X, with more of the simplistic riffs I've become very familiar with. Honestly, such basic guitar playing should not be so fun to listen to. However, the aggression that just radiates from this album from start to finish-along with some stellar guitar solos makes it worth a listen. I'm thrilled the original guitarist for Static-X, Koichi Fukuda is making a return; he injects some more life into the album.

As I said before, "Cannibal" is more of the same. This also applies to the lyrics. Although they're nothing new, Wayne Static delivers them nicely. He's got a great raspy voice which fits perfectly with the heavily distorted guitar, and has a talent for quickly delivering long passages of totally incomprehensible gibberish lyrics(see the track "No Submission" for a frame of reference) The title track is also worth mentioning. Although it's actually about being a vegetarian and all that, I have no clue what "rabbit master" means.

The beauty of "Cannibal" is that it's very consistent. There are no tracks here that I dislike enough to skip, unlike most of their other albums. Everything is quite good, though if you've only got to get a couple of songs, I recommend the title track, "No Submission," and "Chroma-Matic." As I said earlier, "Cannibal" is a return to form for Static-X, and in my opinion could very well edge out over "Machine" as their best yet.

BlueDaze
    I love Static-X. I don't know why because most of my other favourites incorporate complex lyrics and sounds into their music whereas Static is frankly quite simple. Yet something draws me to their sound. To be honest I thought they should have waited longer to make Cannibal, taken it more slowly and make more of it. The only songs on it that I really like are "Cuts you up", "Reptile" and "Goat". 6/10
    BlueDaze
    ThatWouldBeJon
    BlueDaze wrote: slipmaggot93 wrote: Come on people, Static-X's new Cd is beast. Don't hate. If you don't like this stuff, you don't know what metal is so you should probably go back to listening your little emo and screamo. Thank you Static-X for keeping it heavy. Yeah but c'mon compared to their older stuff, this CD was average. They are capable of so much more. And I love them and I'm metal but be honest here.
    yeah gotta agree with daze here it just doesnt quite pack the punch that WDT or SAW had brought to the table, im hoping cult of static sits well with my ears
    angelofdeath99
    look guys you gotta respect this CD its a great album. it isnt like the old shit but he cmon if they did the same thing over and over again it would be boring!!! And btw i personally think the new album Cult of Static is a masterpiece!!!! it totally outdoes Cannibal and every song is brilliant. could be longer though