Cult Of Static review by Static-X

• Released: Mar 17, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Static-X: Cult Of Static

Static-X, the power chord generated industrial band has a unique yet very distinct sound and ambience. Cult Of Static, there most recent release focused on giving back to the fans and going back to their raw roots on such albums like Wisconsin Death Trip/Shadow Zone. The album reminds me of a start a war and wisonsin death trip kind of mix.

The singing of wayne has seemed to be dulled and less aggressive most due to years of his unique singing style and relentless touring. Though on most previous albums waynes lyrics are at most predictible there were a few twists in Cult Of Static like with an introduction of a female voice in the beggining of Tera-Fied. Waynes Mono-tone singing fit's the style of music Static-X plays perfectly and never seems to change the style of his singing.

Cult of Static is deffinatly a good attempt to get in touch with past albums yet still lacks, in some songs, the powerful vocal feeling that other albums had brought previously. With the induction of solos in this album they actually fit very well and aren't at all limiting the songs. -Tera-Fied, involves a catchy intro and a femals voice during the intro and to me resembles the song Love Dump from Start A War album. The song overall fit's well in the album even with the softer type introduction. -Z28, opens right up with a steady solid riff and with the entrance of the vocals still keeps the fast punching pace. Deffinatly in top 5 best songs on the album. -Skinned, one of the best tracks of the album and reminds me a lot of No Submission from the SAW soundtrack. The drums in this song sure are defined and shape this song to be a great static song. -Grind 2 Halt, deffinatly feels like a song off the shadow zone album with the crunching distortion and backing guitar melody. With an electro kind of sample playing throughout the song it fit's extremely well to make another Static-classic. -You Am I, fast pace killer vocals sure makes the tone for the song defined yet intrumnetal-wise it didn't seem to mix well with the vocals. -Lunatic, agrueably a great opener to the album and being track one sets the feeling for the rest of the album. The roar of a crowd punches right through you and sets a great tone. The solo (with Dave Mustaine) rips into the song and shreds the ears right off your head and leaves a great impression even with the fact the solo is very short and sweet. -Stingwray, Is really probably my most disliked song off the album because it lacks the drive and punch of a solid chorus and bridges. If you based buying this Album on this one song I would think again because Stingwray may very well be the worst song off Cult Of Static. Overall if your a Static-X fan this album deffinatly is worth picking up because it reflects their roots and the hard work they have done making it to this point. The push factor does still rest that it lacks vocal power in some songs but even still the rest of the tracks surely make up for the not-so-great ones.

SiKthtallica669
    ThatWouldBeJon
    Oroborous wrote: This album sounds like Wayne wrote it for Tera Wray...in high school. But it's alright.
    haha i actually was thinking the same thing
    SiKthtallica669 wrote: the song Love Dump from Start A War album was I the only one to catch that? It's from Wisconsin Death Trip. The best Static X album ever. no harm hopefully, Cheers
    my bad slipped up on that part haha oh well idk what i was thinking
    droptuning
    i think this album is cool( got it yesterday) but the mix is terrible. The guitars don't have the crunch and sharpness that previous albums have. Some songs seem like the guitar has been pushed to the back of the mix and its disappointing as the songs don't sound as full( in my opinion) but overall its a cool album. peace, p.s, yet another band who prior to release says their new album is their heaviest, yet it is nothing of the sort,lol. no biggie
    Otsegolectric
    I love this album, it's refreshing. The songs - each one of them - are masterpieces and Terminal is my all-time Static-x favourite.
    Insanity 101
    Yea, id have to say i actually like this album alot. I find the songs to be pretty awesome, personally.
    BlueDaze
    This album disappointed me a lot actually. Its not that they got bad at what they do. The solos are brilliant as are all the instruments and singing but... its just like its lacking something.
    BushMasterFlex
    i actually like this album even though its over all simple sounding(besides the solos). good shit i listen to it every day!
    District
    ThatWouldBeJon
    District wrote: The album sounds so unmotivated in many ways. Especially the mixture of the uninspiring guitar tone and the tired-sounding vocals.
    glad somone else can aree man
    White And Nerdy
    I finally picked up this CD. I owned all their previous CD's and was a big fan of most of them (Even Shadow Zone, I don't see why that one gets so much hate.) I think this CD has moments. Tera-Fied, Stingwray, Terminal, and Lunatic I like from this album. Although I think Mustaine's solo doesn't fit in at all with the song "Lunatic" It's a mixed CD, IMO. I was expecting a little bit different of a CD after hearing "Cannibal" but yeah. I'd give this a 7.5/10 Hopefully if they make another CD they'll take a little more time with it and do a little more with the songs. Koichi's solos are pretty sweet though.