Shadow Zone review by Static-X

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
Static-X: Shadow Zone

Static-X combines modern day low tuned metal with the percussive and synth sounds of industrial dance. during many of their songs they begin with a cool little sampling track that gives their sound sort of a Rob Zomieish or Mansonish touch. The song Only has the best sampling track in the whole album by far because the notes, I guess you'd call 'em, give Only a good first sound while the guitars are playing these distorted power chords. Shadow Zone (song) uses a cool drum sound for part of the song a nd the two guitar parts intertwine quite nicely. The best thing about Static-X is their music is dark but you can still bob your head to it. Monster is a wierd track because it is clocked at 270 bpm. The fastest I have ever heard!

don't get me wrong, Wayne is a pretty talented vocalist but when it comes to writing words, this is Static's weakness. It all sounds the same: "You suck I rule," "when I feel good you feel like crap." Ya know, that sort of thing that is pretty standard of many metal groups. Their lyrics sound like that of Seether. Wayne does a great job of expressing his opinion when there is one to express in a song but maybe he sould look into making a concept album.

There really is no band that sounds like Static-X. Stabbing Westward sounds a little bit like them but nobody sings like Wayne and that kind of makes this band unique. Their constant use of techno music and samples create a cool effect. The best songs are: Destroy All, The Only, Monster, and Shadow Zone. Personally I think Wisconsin Death Trip was better but this was certainly a good attempt for something better.