Bula Quo! review by Status Quo

• Released: Jun 10, 2013
Status Quo: Bula Quo!

I find that the soundtrack has its equal share of ups and downs, but the playing and a good portion of the arrangements/production can't be faulted. The album captures Quo's real rock roots in some tracks, as well as the whole "Fiji Feel" in other tracks, while keeping the pace for tracks that would likely be used in chase scenes (in the accompanying motion picture "Bula Quo!") Tracks like "Fiji Time" and "Mystery Island" reflect the setting perfectly, while "GoGoGo" and "Run and Hide (The Gun Song)" carry that feeling of being chased. Sadly, "Running Inside My Head" and "Never Leave a Friend Behind" really do not capture interest and are instantly forgettable, but taking into account the purpose of the songs/Soundtrack, it almost doesn't matter about just how throwaway they are. The album includes a couple of tracks from "Quid Pro Quo," a selection of live tracks (which I presume are to be used to fill the live sections of the film) and a recut version of "Rockin' All Over the World" (from the "Riffs" album - a credits-sequence track?) There is also a new recording of "Living on an Island" which is, sadly, dire musically as well as vocally.

The lyrics display a typical action-movie theme - escaping, running, hiding, guns, cars - while also again exploring the movie's setting of Fiji (some lyrics are in the Fiji language and sang in a traditional Fijian style - "Kua Ni Lega," for example, which means "No Worries"). Don't expect much else from the lyrics, however, as the rest (as you'd expect from the comedy edge of the film) are pure cheese. Francis' vocals are as good as ever, though his pronunciation of some lyrics is questionable... Keep the sleeve notes handy if your after a singalong. Rick's vocals are pretty strong, though some auto-tune is present - though even that couldn't save the new recording if "Living on an Island." Rhino takes lead vocals on "Run and Hide" too, which is nice to hear again - his voice has that pure rock edge that an album like this needs!

All in all, I'm impressed by the soundtrack, and it keeps me looking forward to the film. The downsides are easily lifted by the presence of such strong tracks like "Looking Out for Caroline" and "All That Money" really lift the stranglers (i.e. "Running Inside My Head"). If you can get past the cheesiness and accept tracks like "Bula Bula Quo" with an open mind, you'll find that it's a great listen for the most part. Even the hardcore Quo fan will find themselves liking some of this - then again, I'm a pacifist.

YouTube preview picture