In Search Of The Fourth Chord review by Status Quo

• Released: Sep 17, 2007
Status Quo: In Search Of The Fourth Chord

It's finally here. This rocks like nothing I have ever heard before. It swings like Quo, it sounds like Quo and best of all it rocks like Quo. The band have used vocal effects a little which make some records sound a little dated but once you hear the melodies of "Pennsylvania Blues Tonight" you get wrapped up in the sheer musicality of this whole CD.

Great lyrics for all except for, I feel "Electric Arena". It sounds like it's about Wembley Stadium but hey, it works. It's just a little weak. Matt Letley's song writing has improved dramatically since "Nevershooda" as his song "You're The One For Me" works well both musically and lyrically, a balance that could not be found on his previous work. Rhino's on top form again with killer basslines and an even better sound than before. Rick and Francis? Class. Andy let the side down a little with "Figure Of Eight" as the discord just doesn't work with the Quo sound but his collaborations are killers.

I can't decide whether Quo have topped TPAOY or not. It's just as good but SO much different. TPAOY had a mixture of styles but this one doesn't. It has a mixture of heavy and soft, just like the early albums like "Piledriver". I suppose it's as close to classic Quo the band has ever got since 1986. I like the fact Rhino is using different techniques like Slapping and Popping to really rock the pants off you. For a weirdo who has never heard of Status Quo? Yes. It's just like the classic albums that turned people onto Quo in the first place. Also, it is ironic that almost every song on the album has at least four chords. Great, great stuff.

creepingjesus73
    I used to be a huge Quo fan, but gave up in '93, after a horrible gig in Aberdeen. That and Frank going all C+W...leaving me to reminisce in the Alan Lancaster era stuff. I'm actually tempted to buy this, seeing as the title alone shows they haven't lost their sense of humour!
    spazzymagee
    Jimbleton
    these guys are legends there is no way of denyin the fact and im downloadin this as we speak
    JB93
    spazzymagee wrote: This band rule. I'm into RATM and the like but the Quo are awesome. Rick was in Total Guitar magazine wearing Hi-Tec trainers and black jeans, now that is rock and roll! lol or is it Alan Partridge?
    lol Total Guitar rules
    alyxmelia
    Sloopy wrote: To Jimbleton: BUY THE ALBUM! Don't download!
    +1 love the quo can't wait to get the album (Y)
    Rocker4500
    belavista man
    Rocker4500 wrote: Great album. Bad News is killer. BTW Bob Young actually played the harmonica in 'I Aint Wasting My Time', not Andew Bown.
    Yeah, I know that now. I'd already posted my review when I found out.