Just Supposin' review by Status Quo

• Released: Oct 25, 1980
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Status Quo: Just Supposin'

I love the sound of this album, because it is very different from other Quo albums. The opening track, What You're Proposin' shows perfectly what I mean. There's less boogie-shuffle on here, and it shows more of what Quo can really do (and some of it's over 3 chords, just so that the critics know). One of the main reasons that the album sounds so different is because the lead guitarist, Francis Rossi, broke off links with his long-time writing partner, Bob Young, and was now writing with Bernie Frost, who only actually wrote two songs with Rossi on this album. The new Quo sound for this album gave Quo a new lease of life, and gave the listener something to pay attention to. The sound of Don't Drive My Car is fantastic, turning Quo into some sort of 70's Disco band (and that was ment to be a compliment).

There's some pretty good lyrics on here. What You're Proposing is the biggest hit on here, and the lyrics helped it dramatically. The lyrics on another hit, Rock N' Roll, also helped it to a certain degree. The lyrics on Don't Drive My Car weren't as significant as on other songs, but that's only because the sound was the main focus of this song. Francis, Rick and sometimes Alan carry off their lyical parts very well.

This album has to be a hidden Quo masterpiece. Forget RAOTW and Hello!, this is where it's at. Everything from the production to the mixing to the layout of the tracks is un-repeatably phenominal. There are areas that could be touched up on, but they're only minor. This album is a must for Quo fans and Rock n Roll fans alike.