Quo review by Status Quo

• Released: May 3, 1974
Status Quo: Quo

I love the riffs and intros from this album. You know straight off wether your going to like a song or not when the intro begins to play. When the "Backwater" intro kicks in, you know you like it, and therefore, you like the album, because it's the first thing you hear when you play it. Other songs which remain memorable for their guitar parts are "Break The Rules", which has a fantastic intro and solo, and "Fine Fine Fine". I can't get over how well this album sounds. It contains the tracks "Backwater" and "Just Take Me", which link into each other extremely well. It also contains the super long, "Slow Train", which must contain a solo from every member of the band, it's that long (nearly 8 minutes).

I wasn't extrememly fond of the vocals on this album. Alan Lancaster does a lot of vocals on here; though he isn't a bad singer, he can get annoying after a while, especially in "Just Take Me". The volumes are all over the place in "Just Take Me" and you can't hear the vocals very well at all. Francis only sings on 4 tracks, inculding the bonus track and Rick sings on a meagre 1 song, which, in all fairness, is pretty bad. The rest are sung by Lancaster which, I suppose, makes this a very Lancaster based album, which could be good or bad depending on your point of view.

This has to be one of the best '70s Quo albums that they released, and it will remain to be one of my personal favourites for a few years to come, yet. It's a shame that there wern't any more songs released off this album, because they would have been massive hits.