The Party Ain't Over Yet review by Status Quo

• Released: Jan 1, 2005
Status Quo: The Party Ain't Over Yet

I love the majority of this album, yet there are parts of it which I personally think could have been better. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Three of the tracks on here were written by John David (long-time Quo song writter), which some may call bad, some may call good. I think that the sound on these three songs, "TPAOY", "All That Counts Is Love" and "Kick Me When I'm Down," are great as they show just how much Quo can pull off. The rest of the music is written by Status Quo and Bob Young, naturally, as some of the best music on this album is in songs co-written by Bob Young. I don't think there's that much worth changing on this album, but, like I said, there are weak points, in songs like "Nevashooda" and, maybe "Velvet Train" where the music tends to get on my nerves after a while. Overall? Not bad.

There's some fantastic lyrics on this album, especially on the songs written by John David ("All The Counts Is Love" for example) and the songs written by Rick Parfitt ("Familiar Blues" for example). There's also plenty of lyrics which need a lot of work, in songs like "The Bubble" and "Nevashooda" (Both co-written by Andy Bown, a step down from "Whatever You Want"). I love the lyrics in "This Is Me" and "Belavista Man" (I wonder why) and can't get enough of them, but a lot of the tracks' lyrics are un-listenable to me. Overall, the album lyrics needed work which they didn't get.

It's definately one to buy, but not one to play on a loop for hours, like Heavy Traffic or Just Supposin' were. It will definately go down as a Quo classic, but not as one of their very best. If you're a new Quo fan and plan on buying a Quo album, then go for some of the earlier stuff first, then work your way towards this one, as it isn't as good as it could have been, and could put you off buying anymore of Quo's albums. Quo are better than this, trust me.

belavista man
    Goldy93 wrote: status quo are 3 chord wonders
    For a start The Party Ain't Over Yet, Belavista Man, All That Counts Is Love, The Bubble and The Is Me all contain more than three chords. I could rhyme off over a hundred (litterally), but I'm that tired, I can't be bothered..
    belavista man
    ..Or can I? 01. Pictures of Matchstick Men 02. This Is Me 03. The Bubble 04. Pensylvania Blues Tonight 05. Rain 06. Living On An Island 07. Mystery Song 08. Rockin' All Over The World 09. The Greatest Fighter 10. Whatever You Want 11. Tongue Tied 12. Overdose 13. Over The Edge 14. Belavista Man 15. All That Counts Is Love 16. Rhythm of Life 17. For You 18. Ol' Rag Blues 19. Spicks and Specks 20. Too Close To The Ground 21. In The Army Now 22. Baby Boy 23. Rock N Me 24. 4500 Times 25. Gerdundula 26. Burning Bridges 27. When You Walk In The Room 28. Red Sky 29. Most Of The Time 30. Someone Show Me Home 31. Everytime I Think of You 32. One Man Band 33. Electric Arena 34. Black Veils of Melencholy 35. Bring It On Home 36. Rock Till You Drop 37. Like A Zombie 38. A Year 39. 1000 Years 40. Rock N Roll 41. Goin Down For The First Time 42. Marguerita Time 43. Tommy (In Love) 44. Man Overboard 45. (April) Spring, Summer and Wednsdays 46. Don't Drive My Car 47. Invitation 48. Resurrection 49. Speechless 50. Everything 51. Stones 52. Proud Mary 53. Sherri Don't Fail Me Now 54. Restless 55. Point of No Return 56. Sorry 57. Like It Or Not 58. Sail Away 59. Twenty Wild Horses 60. Little White Lies 61. Blessed Are The Meek 62. The Way It Goes 63. Your Smiling Face 64. Young Pretender 65. Blue For You 66. Jealousy 67. Nanana 68. Raining In My Heart 69. Let Me Fly 70. All Around My Hat 71. Johnny and Mary 72. Halloween 73. One By One 74. Calling 75. Figure of Eight 76. Falling In Falling Out 77. Take Me Away 78. Born To Be Wild 79. Never Too Late 80. Face Without a Soul 81. So Ends Another Life 82. Are You Growing Tired of My Life? 83. Familiar Blues 84. Technicolour Dreams 85. Kick Me When I'm Down 86. Hard Time 87. Way Down 88. When I'm Dead And Gone 89. Velvet Train 90. Runaround Sue 91. Mony Mony 92. Big Man 93. I Can Hear The Grass Grow 94. Safety Dance 95. Famous In The Last Century 96. Fine Fine Fine 97. Lonely Man 98. Slow Train 99. Don't Bring Me Down 100. Fakin' The Blues