Whatever You Want review by Status Quo

• Released: Oct 20, 1979
Status Quo: Whatever You Want

Possibly one of the band's greater albums. By no means is this their best sound at all, but it still ensures that the album has one fat monster sound. The guitars are as tight as they'd been, great riffs, brilliant solos. As a plus, this album holds two of the bands best songs that are still included in their sets to this day; Whatever You Want and Living on An Island. Despite popular belief about Status Quo, there's very few songs on here that just contain three chords all through. In fact, the styles are quite varied on here. Yeah sure, it's still that rock n roll boogie on a lot of songs (Shady Lady, Your Smiling Face), but there's a lot more than that. Who Asked You is so prominent on this album, because the large amount of it sounds so unlinke Quo, it's so diverse. The same goes for Living On An Island. High Flyer boasts a great sound too - a true Lancaster song, from start to finish. The only negative thing I can say about this album's sound is that that guitars are so trebbley in places, it begins to show its age. Like on the intro to Whatever You Want - the re-recording on 'Riffs' is so much better.

The lyrics and vocals are always pretty good from Quo. They always fit the needs of the music and you can always sing along happily - that's what lyrics are meant to do you, right? Francis' vocals are always pretty solid, the same goes for Rick's. Alan's aren't always good, but do their job well enough. The harmonies on this album are spot on, as ever. Great harmony work from Rick, Alan and Andy.

I like this album, but it's by no means my favourite. I'm not so fond of some stuff like Come Rock With Me/Rockin' On. There's not quite enough dynamic in it for me - that's why I love stuff like Living On An Island and Breaking Away (another great track from here). They take the song from nothing, to something great in a matter of seconds - I love a band to do that. I wouldn't recomend getting this if you expect EVERYTHING to be like those that I've just mentioned. Saying that, it's a must have if you like the boogie rock, like Shady Lady.