Paper Plates & Aeroplanes Review

artist: Stay Awake date: 08/17/2009 category: compact discs
Stay Awake: Paper Plates & Aeroplanes
Released: 2008
Genre: Rock
You can tell all the members put allot into this album for not being under a label, and its great!
 8.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Paper Plates & Aeroplanes Reviewed by: Legendaryhero7, on august 17, 2009

Sound: In the magical, chaotic land of Michigan, there have been many bands throughout music history that have made it to the top, and this underground-classic rock sounding band fronted by local celebrity of their home town of Owosso, Graham Johnson, has made what I consider one of my favorite albums of all time. As you listen to this album, you hear the influence strait from the classic rock bands of the 60's and 70's. Their playing a jazz drummer, a rock guitarist, a funk bassist with Graham unique sound really makes this album amazing. Granted, his voice takes a few listens to get used to but once you're on it, you're hooked. You can tell all the members put allot into this album for not being under a label, and it's great! // 9

Lyrics: I didn't listen to this album expecting much, I heard about it from a friend of mine who's very into the local rock scene. Sadly, this consists of allot of annoying death metal, scremo punk, and Christian metal that I can't get into. Anyway, he told me to buy a copy but I didn't think much of it until I listened to that first song. The words and tunes captured me in the way a professional artist would it was very from the heart, which made it just great. But, like I said above, the singer's voice was actually pretty annoying to me the 1st few runs of the songs, but its just the uniqueness of it making the songs even better. // 8

Overall Impression: Since this is an un-signed and young band, they're, first album was phenomenal, and I'm sure anyone could listen to it and learn to love it. The album itself is one of the few albums I could listen too in any mood and love all the songs. Each songs have their own uniqueness and the placement on the record flows every nicely, it has a very nice variety of soft, hard, acoustic, and electric songs on there. I'm disappointed that this album will probably never ever become nearly as popular as it deserves to be, and thus I'd buy it repeatedly if it were ever lost. // 9

Comments