Somewhere review by Stealing Carolina

• Released: Jul 19, 2011
Stealing Carolina: Somewhere

Stealing Carolina's debut album is filled with awesome guitar-riffs and catchy vocal melodies. Jose Jimenez recorded all the instruments and vocals for the album in his own 2 bed-room apartment in Olympia, Washington. There is no doubt that this album was heavily influenced by early time grunge band Nirvana and at some points earlier Foo Fighters/Queens Of The Stone Age. At times, the song-writing can be compared to Jose's idol, Benjamin Burnley of Breaking Benjamin. The CD is raw, rough, and real, but at the same time clean-cut smooth. A must have if you like Nirvana/Foo Fighters/QOTSA. Overall the CD is impressive and creative, and many would call this CD a demo, but to me, it's an album. Pure and simple, it tops anything coming out in Olympia/Tacoma. One of my top 10 favorite "New CD's of the Year".

Jose Jimenez lyrics are fantastic through out this whole album, especially in songs like "AudioBuddy" and "Little Did I Know". The words fall perfectly within the songs, there is hardly any mistakes. The music and lyrics compliment one-another, and in most cases, for example, "The Black Cat" would not be as powerful of a song without those haunting lyrics and melody. You can definitely tell that Jose did not use any sort of software to enhance his vocals, with this in mind, Jose left himself vulnerable and I tip my hat to him, not many artist, indie/professional would not even sing into a microphone if they didn't have a pitch-correcting program. Jose has a strong and unique voice that will be easily recognizable. In the future, I expect greater improvements by Jose, and I know he won't disappoint in his next album.

The album is not perfect, which I like. It's pure Rock & Roll. The imperfections make this album even greater than most hyper-produced records. Stealing Carolina is a band that I'll keep my eye on and expect a lot from in the future. Jose is a true musical genius and a skillful singer/songwriter. Recommended tracks, "AudioBuddy" "Little Did I Know", "Good Enough To Know You" and "U.F.O.".

childofbreakben
    I've been following this guys music for awhile now. This is pretty impressive and a really good review. Please everyone download Stealing Carolinas music online on reverbnation.com/stealingcarolina the album is up for free. 10 out of 10 for me.
    stephenwinkler
    Just downloaded the who cd. Everyone check them out, really great stuff, also prossibly the best Debut-Independent release album yet! Favorite track has to be "Little Did I Know".
    alanjenkins
    Download the whole album. At first I thought it wasn't going to be good, but damn was I wrong. I was hooked as soon as I listened to the first song. Nice review and great freaking band.
    xAntichristx79x
    Ummm, really? Only three comments on this review, all three accounts making those comments made just in the last day, along with the account which made the review, all of which giving information on downloading the CD... yeah, ok.