Balls Out review by Steel Panther

• Released: Oct 31, 2011
Steel Panther: Balls Out

This is Steel Panther's second album, and it is very similar in sound to their first one, "Feel The Steel". The album is full of powerful, energising riffs; crazy guitar soloing, great choruses and fantastic vocals. It sounds exactly like it was released in the late 1980s - fans of Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood", Ratt's "Detonator" and similar albums will love this album. Anyone who enjoys b-tchin' hard rock/metal in general will enjoy this album - Steel Panther are technically gifted musicians and have written some great songs on here.

In one word, the lyrics can be best summed up as "offensive". In five words, the lyrics can be best summed up as "very, very, very, very offensive". I introduced a friend to Steel Panther the other day - all she could say was "that's really offensive, that's really offensive!" Did I mention the lyrics are offensive? They are very offensive. If you are at all easily offended, you have been warned. What is important to remember is that Steel Panther are as much a comedy act as they are a b-tchin rock band, and they certainly don't disappoint with the lyrics in this album. It is impossible to pick out particular highlights (there's just too many), but fans of their first album are in for more of the same, if not better. Michael Starr's vocals are as great as ever, and suit the music perfectly. I'm giving this a 10, because these lyrics are as funny as they are offensive - which really is a hell of an achievement.

This album really is as good as anything released during the 1980's hair metal era, and it is fair to say there is very little like it being released today. It's metal, but it's happy and fun to listen to. Without wanting to give too much away, here is a list of the songs on the album - the title's should probably tell you all you need to know. Tracklisting: 01. In The Future 02. Supersonic Sex Machine 03. Just Like Tiger Woods 04. 17 Girls In A Row 05. If You Really, Really Love Me 06. It Won't Suck Itself 07. Tomorrow Night 08. Why Can't You Trust Me 09. That's What Girls Are For 10. Gold-Digging Whore 11. I Like Drugs 12. Critter 13. Let Me Cum In 14. Weenie Ride I love this album's sense of humour - as sheer comedy, it is brilliant. The fact that the music is also brilliantly written and executed means that it is getting yet another 10/10. Anyone who doesn't like this album has no sense of humour, or poor music taste, or both - a bit like my friend mentioned above.

Leather Sleeves
    henrihell wrote: Again a 10/10? I haven't heard it but if it's even close to feel the steel it's really unoriginal... pretty much every riff was almost directly copied from somewhere else.. Really good band though, just a bit unoriginal, definitely not a 10/10... The only real 10/10 album that exists is master of puppets...
    Seriously? Puppets? Its I don't even think it's their best album. It could possibly deserve a ten, but saying that no album by any other band is as good as that is ridiculous.
    Redd_dymond
    steel panther isn't quite the same as hair metal used to be, but they're better than most of them that are still going
    DethDefiler
    That's your loss then.
    grille wrote: I would rather listen to the lulu and metalica album then this.
    dial-a-death
    NOt as good as their first album IMO. Last half of the album is nowhere near as good as the start.
    GenerationKILL
    Janes Addiction got signed because of these guys. The were supposed to show up for the showcase where abunch of A&R guys were waiting for them, but they thought they were told to "go get shitfaced" and instead the Janes Addiction got signed instead. True story, i saw it on the behind the music of Steel Panther.
    SanaySK
    freakin love it !!! the lyrics,the vocals,the guitarwork.. just brilliant !
    Slaytan666
    StewieSwan
    RetroGunslinger
    Slaytan666 wrote: Balls out is a better-written album musically, but it's just not as funny as Feel the Steel. It's still good, though.
    This exactly,Weenie Ride and some lines in other songs such as Tomorrow Night are hilarious but there are far too many songs about anal sex lol
    JackalUK
    I much prefer Feel The Steel, but this is a good follow-up even if it doesn't quite match the previous effort.
    EpiExplorer
    Winter_Madness6 wrote: It's metal, but it's happy and fun to listen to. the same could be said about Anaal Nathrakh =P
    You're crazy. Anyway, who could NOT like Steel Panther? Might get it myself.
    Reinatanaka
    The issue with user written reviews is that they're extremely bias. Personally i like Steel panther not as an originality band, but as a band who plays very catchy tunes that you relate to other songs and make people including myself feel good. Hence why they are very popular. You can't BEAT the originals but this is as good as it gets in this era of music people.
    fenderstrattele
    the album is awesome! since I've got it last week I have not been listen to anything else. every song is great and the guitarwork is even better than it was on feel the steel
    kinslayerSOA
    Very good album, but not worthy of a 10. Feel the Steel was better as a whole album and even that isn't worth a 10.
    Redd_dymond
    StewieSwan wrote: I love Steel Panther, but it's so obvious a giddy fanboy wrote this review. All 10s? Oh please.
    true, i think its worth waiting a while until people review something. i once reviewed an amp that i bought, and at the time i was madly in love with it. 12 months on i hated it and traded it in. that said, the songs on this album that i've listened to on youtube are actually totally excellent
    Way Cool JR.
    I love Steel Panther, the dudes just rock! Even though they're a bunch of jokesters you can tell they actually do take what they do seriously, and know what they are doing. They just go with the "Glam" stereotype people have and have fun with it. The only other band that is kicking out some awesome, true 80's style Hair/Glam is "De la Cruz" out of Australia. They just do it on a more serious note than SP does. 80's Hair lovers should check them out, they don't disappoint.
    rockstar2be
    It's good, but not nearly a 10. Sure, they are entertaining as hell and technicaly good musicians it gets old really fast and I lost interest very quickly. you can only laugh at the same joke for so long
    Savage Animal
    so it's not good is what you're saying
    billh114
    maybe im too old to have a say, but the 80's that was "cool" is not what this represents, "Holy diver" "diary of a madman" early VH, the list goes on, this makes me think of a night at a comedy club not a serious guitar/band effort.
    ronhoward
    It's a pretty solid album. It is a little more original sounding than the first, but there are still a few songs that you'll recognize the style they were going after. I'm not so sure it's as good as Feel The Steel, but it is worth picking up.
    slaveskinJACKET
    goingnowhere21
    A 10 is a bit ridiculous for this album but it is pretty awesome. Steel panther is just a great band in general.
    JFRules
    I love the album! Took a few listens to take it all in lol Freaking funny and has amazing guitar on it.
    Morello is god
    LOOOOOL woow i just heard these guys and their f**king sick definitely gonna pick up their albums. "don't get mad if i stick it in your booty" haha priceless
    henrihell
    jonathanb2
    grille
    I would rather listen to the lulu and metalica album then this.
    Lost Dog
    It's good, but definitely not not a 10. I can confidently say this is not a flawless album. This got a better rating than Abbey road, and in fact better than any Beatles album released on UG...
    jonathanb2
    slaveskinJACKET wrote: jonathanb2 wrote: When I first listened to Balls Out, I was so disappointed. This record is complete crap compared to their first one. There were three or four songs towards the middle that were pretty good, but then it went straight back downhill. I'd give this album a 5/10. I give you thumbs down for two reasons: 1) As a comedy album, it's not as good as Feel the Steel, but the music is still excellent. Actually, a lot of the music on here is superior to that of Feel the Steel. It's just not as funny, and there aren't as many good songs. 2) You think it's shit, but you give it a 5.
    DaniArrow
    This one's musically better, it doesn't quite have the humour the frist one had though. Nice Album anyway, gonna go see the show in Munich in March.
    Crim_Graveyard
    Get off Kirk Hammetts cack, Steel Panthers sick
    kinslayerSOA
    jonathanb2 wrote: I never said it was shit, I just said it sucked compared to their first album. Also, I thought the lyric writing was rather amateur compared to that of Feel the Steel. Case in point, the chorus to "Supersonic Sex Machine" is simply Starr singing the phrase "Supersonic Sex Machine" three times in a row. That is one thing that really irked me about the album.
    I agree it wasn't as good as the first album and the choruses weren't as good, but it's still a very good album. Also, so many choruses are just repetitions of the same line - One Way Ticket by The Darkness, Seek and Destroy by Metallica, and even Steel Panther's Death To All But Metal - doesn't mean they're bad songs. I personally love those songs.
    gArre7X
    True story, i saw it on the behind the music of Steel Panther.
    I thought that was a fake story..
    iup788
    I think they should have had more variety in their music in Balls Out. EVERY single song was about sex in it. In Feel the Steel they had Death to All but Metal and Hell's On Fire.
    MaggaraMarine
    gArre7X wrote: True story, i saw it on the behind the music of Steel Panther. I thought that was a fake story..
    That's a documentary parody if somebody didn't know.