Balls Out review by Steel Panther

• Released: Oct 31, 2011
Steel Panther: Balls Out

The consummate cock rockers are back. They'll appeal to fans of [insert name of any 80s rock / metal band here]. And, while "Balls Out" may not be as abundantly comedic as Steel Panther's first album, anyone jonesing for classic rock will get high off of this album. Steel Panther is the epitome of overindulgence. Their hair is bigger. Their bulges are bigger. Their lyrics are about sex, drugs, and rock and roll (literally, that's all their lyrics are about). They also happen to be incredible musicians. Steel Panther exists in parody, but they're so good at their craft that you also take them seriously.

The band's best instruments are the cords of vocalist Michael Starr. He is the Sybil of hair metal - channeling David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, Rob Halford (on the high wails), and other important rock personalities that live inside him. His range adds melody to every song. Also, listen for the Chad Kroeger cameo on the second verse of "It Won't Suck Itself". That boy from Nickelback loves singing about blowjobs, doesn't he? The album's themes are limited to booze, tits, drugs, pussy, jizz, Tiger Woods, etc. It's all purposefully overdone, sure, but the lyrical redundancy is the album's biggest weakness.

You will relate to this album. This is a statement of fact. Every riff is familiar but has been altered enough to make it original. The lyrics will remind you of drunken nights, one-night stands, puberty, that one time a group of dudes gang-banged that one chick, and other raunchy events that you reminisce about in your buddy's garage. It's "dude rock", dude. Is the new album as successful as the debut album? Close enough. The comedic shtick might be thin and maybe its stuff you've kinda-sorta heard before. However, if you're looking for a good time, Steel Panther will show it to you with their "Balls Out".

MaggaraMarine
    henrihell wrote: Again a 10/10? I haven't heard it but if it's even close to feel the steel it's really unoriginal... pretty much every riff was almost directly copied from somewhere else.. Really good band though, just a bit unoriginal, definitely not a 10/10... The only real 10/10 album that exists is master of puppets...
    Facepalm... It's not meant to be an "original" band. They are making fun of the '80s hair metal bands. Also they copy the riffs because it's part of the joke. Did you even listen to the lyrics? And really, Master of Puppets the only album that deserves a 10? I mean, what about Led Zeppelin albums (much better than any Metallica album)? Most of them deserve almost a 10 IMO. Though I wouldn't give any album all 10. Every album has at least one not so good song. And I think even the best albums have only a couple of songs that deserve a 10.
    MaggaraMarine
    I don't understand how somebody could get offended by the lyrics. If they weren't joking, I would think they are just insane. But nobody's so crazy that they would write this kind of lyrics 100% seriously. Even bands in the 80s didn't write all their lyrics 100% seriously. But Steel Panther uses all the cliche 80s lyric themes and takes them into another level. But I think the problem with Steel Panther is that you really can't take them seriously. Because their songs are great musically and would work really well with a bit different lyrics. They could even sing about similar subjects but be a bit more subtle (like the real 80s rock bands). That way their music could be taken more seriously. And I know their straight sex, drugs & rock'n'roll lyrics are part of the band - maybe they wouldn't be that famous without their "offending" lyrics (and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't - it would just be another 80s sounding rock band). But yeah, I'm not sure if I can listen to this band - I'm not sure what to think about them. If the music was more crazy, maybe it would work better as a joke. But now the music sounds too good, if you know what I mean. It's too good for a joke but it's too funny to be taken seriously.