Feel The Steel review by Steel Panther

• Released: Jun 8, 2009
Steel Panther: Feel The Steel

Ever since I stumbled across Steel Panther, then known as Metal Skool I had been waiting for an original album with eager anticipation. Now I may not of been waiting the "30 years" that they have to release it but they have fast became the break out band of 2009. Now you wont hear anything on this album you haven't heard before, but what you will hear is it done better then you could ever imagine. The infusion of the 80s drips from the case as you look at the back of it with all members clad in leopard print and hair spray and with a name that just screams hair metal it is easy to see that they are filling the void left open by bands such as Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. But these guys aren't just a tribute band, they're the real deal and once you dive into they're back story this band will just click for any fan of the 80s whether you where there or not.

Now personally I love the lyrics and it is one of the things I love about them. However I understand that they will offend some people and that some just wont "get it" but those that do will find them selves going from head banging to fits of laughter to pausing with their lighters in the air, right back to laughter for example during "Community Property" one finds oneself pausing to reach for the lighter when the crucial lyric is hit that changes it from emotional ballad to a song that all men can worship accordingly. Now although the lyrics are someone immature what cannot be taken away from it is Michael Starr's vocals. A journey man of the music scene he has been a member of LA Guns, a small roll in "Rockstar" and the only formerly in The Atomic Punks, a Van Halen tribute band to be praised by Mr Lee Roth himself. It only takes one song, any of them to realize that he has been a hidden gem that the world need's to hear he has all the snarl of Taime Downe of Faster Pussycat, the delivery of Lee Roth, the falsetto peaks that would make Justin Hawkins (The Darkness/Hot Leg) blush and the ability to draw out emotions from the ballads that resemble Poison's Bret Michaels or Warrant's Jani Lane. I would love to score them a perfect 10 for this, however I can understand that the lyrics somewhat bring it down from everyone been able to enjoy it (I wouldn't play this around my parents but hey isn't rock about rebellion?) so I will deduct points for the crudeness but the vocals on all tracks even with guest stars as Corey Taylor, M Shadows and Justin Hawkins drags it up to a very respectable 8.

It would be impossible to review this album without mentioning the comparisons to other artists. It rains down pastiche's like they are going out of fashion, "Community Property" ("Home Sweet Home"), "Stripper Girl" ("Every Rose Has Its Thorn"), "Fat Girl" ("Here I Go Again"), "Party All Day" ("Livin On A Prayer", "Runaway") to name just a hand full. But it doe's them extremely well and to be honest if any other band had played these songs I would of laughed in their face but Steel Panther get away with it because they do it better than anyone and at some points better than the bands they pay homage to. Stand out songs are the crowds Favorite "Death To All But Metal, the anthem "Party All Day" and "Community Property". But out of everyone I know who has this album they like me find it hard to choose a favorite and find are selves changing it constantly. To conclude this, Steel Panther's album ruined my past relationship after I bought a copy my then partner demanded I copy it for her, I flat out refused and demanded she buy it. Now as some self stand against illegal downloads but because Steel Panther truly deserve the support they are gaining and I am proud to of helped as this album is incredible and I am glad I purchased it... Twice.

Scarified96
    This sh*t kicks ass! Comedy-metal is a great genre, and Steel Panther takes it to a whole new level! The band can actually play their instruments and my god they do it well. The hilarious and vulgar lyrics make them one of the greatest parody bands ever.
    Vypor
    I love this album! Ive had it for about a year now. These guys are incredibly creative and kickass. Best Parody band ever! I hope they are planing on another album.
    iup788
    I'd love to see a collaboration between Steel Panther and Tenacious D. both of them rock!
    queenslander47
    Only just found these guys in recent weeks and have been loving them ever since. Community Property is my personal favourite. "When I come home my dinner's made, and the front lawn is mowed" absolutely lost my shit when I first heard that line hahahaha
    pepsilawson
    I only just signed up to UG which is why i reviewed it late, and Vypor they are releasing their next album in September 2011.
    YorkshireMinor
    ,but themself are listening to nu or black metal
    Black metal is true metal (Mayhem, Bathory etc.), although I agree with your opinion on nu-metal and the vast majority of metalcore.