3 Balloons review by Stephen Lynch

• Released: Mar 24, 2009
Stephen Lynch: 3 Balloons

Stephen Lynch is known for his vulgar and off the wall humor and he takes it to an entirely new level on his most recent CD, 3 Balloons. He is in great form here, both in singing and playing, and takes his songwriting to a different place by incorporating a band rather than have the songs revolve around him and his guitar playing. While this adds to the sound and makes the songs sound much more complete, the jokes tend to get lost in the shuffle. Thats not to say the jokes are bad, but they do take a backseat to the songwriting, which works well here as all the songs are extremely well done and memorable with catchy melodies such as the medieval inspired "Medieval Bush" or the epic balladry of "Hallelujah". Very well done.

Lynch, amongst other things, is not known for nice songs and takes his jokes much farther in this CD. Sometimes too far, and I feel it seems that way because there is no live crowd to laugh along with. The song "Waiting" for example, is full of disgusting images that desperately need a crowd to laugh along with. Other songs like "Crazy Peanuts" are extremely well done, especially to those of us that remember the cartoon that goes with the song. Lynch's voice never disappoints as he is a very natural singer, and none of the lyrics feel out of place with the music.

I love musical comedy in general, and Stephen Lynch is my favorite guitar toting comedian. While this is no "Superhero" or "Craig Machine", it is still a solid CD with some great tracks that have a more full sound thanks to the full band now at Lynch's disposal. I would've loved to hear something live because I feel that's where he really shines, but this is still not a bad venture for him. Some stand out tracks include "Crazy Peanuts", "Mediecal Bush", and "You(Prettier Than)". I would definantly buy this again if I lost it.