Just Enough Education To Perform review by Stereophonics

• Released: Apr 17, 2001
Stereophonics: Just Enough Education To Perform

I have always been a huge fan of Stereophonics' abilities to combine classic rock tunes with more interesting lyrics than just, booze, sex, drugs and violence! Which is ironic in way. To begin, this album kicks off with Vegas Two Times, a very typical AC/DC style song with the signature addition of weird chords and the swirling growl of Kelly Jones' vocals. The album suddenly then falls down a small step and lands onto a relatively, exhausting song, Lying in the Sun. Although it contains the obviously awesome lyrics that Mr Jones consistently procures and a nice slide guitar in the chorus, it does not compete with the following brilliance of Mr Writer. Clearly one of their best ever tracks. And personally one of my favorite songs of all time. That introduction with the slow build of drums and the "wah wah" induced guitar is so tasty! Followed by the epic growl of the chorus and immaculately timed and played piano solo that neither begs for attention and overcrowds the back drop of the acoustic guitar, or trails to far off into the distance of the recording. There is too much acoustic rythme in this album, it yearns for some classic rock, such as the final song, Rooftops. Although there would be no diversity in the album at all if you used the same electric guitars on each track, it would at least create a short rock n' roll wonder with sly lyrics and agitated vocals. Which would be more authoritative and authentic.

The song Step on my Old Size Nines is proof of how down to earth the lyrics are on all the Stereophonics albums. "Are you so lonely, you don't even know me but you'd like to stone me" is a perfect example of how poetic, poignant, but yet grounded way, Kelly Jones writes his lyrics. Another interesting point to note is the way he writes a story with his notes, like Have a Nice Day, and always with a point as well, which is always necessary. This song in discussion, in my opinion is about how people crave for money, something that Kelly often writes about.

I would rank this band along with Feeder and The White Stripes. There pop leanings and secretive scents of more classic rock, derived from Led Zeppelin and Guns N' Roses are such an easy to wind down an evening. Unfortunately though, this album doesn't compare with the others in that respect. It's lack of variety and spike to the music really lets down an excellent band, who have always seemed to erect classic, sing along songs with deep and thoughtful meanings. The slightly dull Watch Them Fly Sundays with it's simple lyrics and overused system of writing, serenades down through the same route that Stereophonics and hundreds of other bands follow. But all hope is not lost as the beautifully crafted song, Everyday I Think of Money sails into your ear drums slowly and perfectly. it's potent lyrics and change of feel, from it's depressing low verse's to a more upbeat chorus, is an artistic way in which to alter the mood of a song entirely, but still maintaining it's dark, and ever so slightly benighted tones. it's a shame though as it then retracts to the dull acoustic ballad of Maybe and Caravan Holiday. Mr Writer and Everyday I Think of Money is almost reason to buy this album alone. They are truly brilliant! If you are looking for the same spark that you felt from listening to Word Get Around and Language. Sex. Violence. Other, then you will only find those two songs I mentioned before hand with any real character and difference. Overall though I'd rather actually just download those two songs and be happy with it instead of spending 15 euro on an album of acoustic, but poetic ramblings.

Five Magics
    A very good review indeed, as it is quite an accurate reflection of how I view this album. Indeed, as mostly an acoustic album, it can eventually get boring and it by no means compares to their 2005 album Sex, Language, Violence, Other? Nevertheless, as you highlight, some fantastic songs can highlighted. My personal favourites from that album are "Nice Day to be Out" and "Vegas Two Times".
    Left_behind
    You compare Vegas Two Times to an ACDC song? You're joking right? Did you listen to this album at all, or just the first couple chords. Don't even get me started on the comparison to guns n roses. why don't you try not writing an article like you're an arrogant know-it-all jackass and run a spell check over the article before you post it.
    Mr Brownst0ne
    wth are u on about "left behind"?? it seems ur the one with no idea of what ur talking about. the dudes right, stereophonincs do take influence from hard rock bands such as GN'R and ACDC
    SG-Jack
    AngryGoldfish
    SG-Jack wrote: Stereophonics do indeed take classic rock influences. IMO Language. Sex. Violence. Other? is the best album and your sitting on the wall, one minute its great, the next you say you'd rather download the two best song, wtf is up with you?
    What do you mean by that? Maybe I'm just missing the point? Langauge. Sex. Violence. Other, is the best I think as well. But its close with Word Gets Around. Left_Behind.....well I'd like to point out a few things. I did check for spelling and I corrected the ones that were wrong, maybe your of some weird langauge that combines Enlgish with another form of bulls***? I don't know myself, maybe you do?! I don't know about you, but I've read alot of interviews with Kelly Jones and co and they specifically have mentioned AC/DC as one of their favourites. I don't mind complaints, comments and friendly banter, but don't be an ass hole about it, it only creates the illusion(or maybe reality)of you being a complete dic! I think we can establish by Mr BrownstOne, seeing as his name is interlinked with Guns N' Roses and therefore a fan, that you are not sure of what you are saying and are on another planet. Come back to earth my dear friend! We miss you!
    AngryGoldfish
    In my long time experince with Stereophonics, I have come to the conclusion, through many interviews, that they DO consider AC/DC and Guns N' Roses as influences(especially coming from a guy who is named after a Guns N' Roses song name, who is obviously a fan). Whether they are direct or not. In my opinion and obviously the opinion of others, that they do sound similar to those bands mentioned in one way or another. And by the way, if you are going to be an ass hole Left_Behind, then at least have the right things to shout about! I love hearing complaint, comments and whatever, but not from people who are obviously on another planet. So I say to you...return to earth my friend, we all miss you so very much! Also what do you mean SG-Jack? I didn't quite understand, its been a looooong day!
    AngryGoldfish
    I hope you understand now. I can post the same thing again if needed. I'd rather not, I have more important things to do than worry about fools who moan and groan about hypocritical crap!