Keep Calm And Carry On review by Stereophonics

• Released: Nov 16, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Stereophonics: Keep Calm And Carry On

Keep Calm and Carry On is the 7th studio album of the Welsh band. What's great about Stereophonics is that they have a relatively wide musical comfort zone, with songs ranging from slow-sentimental to upbeat pop rock to classic alternative rock. Although it's great having different types of songs on the same album as it shows diversity, the setback is that it makes it very difficult to listen to the entire album in a single flow mainly because of the slightly dull and slow emotional songs. The band does manage to include keyboards, acoustic guitar, excellent vocals, fun riffs, and electro sounds all in the same album. It leaves a good first impression, but can start getting a little mundane after listening to it for a few times. There are a few songs that stand out, such as She's Alright or I Got Your Number, which demonstrate that the band are still capable of creating very good music.

Singer Kelly Jones provides a consistently solid vocal delivery on the entire album. His signature whisky vocals are present on songs such as I Got Your Number. The first song of the album, She's Alright, is a good demonstration of Jones' singing range capabilities with sequences reminiscent of AC/DC. Stuck in a Rut is a bluesy-alternative song about the changes of life and how one must not be passive against the obstacles that are tied to those changes. On the other hand, the lyrics are probably the weakest element to the album, being more on the generic side. They cover general topics such as emotional redemption, facing the changes and obstacles of life, and falling in love. The exception to the prosaic lyrics is I Got Your Number which tells the story of falling in and out of love with a girl who has drug problems.

Overall, Keep Calm and Carry On is a fun album, but perhaps not the most thought-out one. It would have been more pleasant to have more upbeat tracks versus the slower sentimental ballads, but at the same time, it allows for a more diverse album. The band has an excellent mastery of mixing, there is just the right amount of electronic components on certain songs without taking away from their rock style; they also add reverb to the vocals at certain appropriate moments. The lyrics lack profoundness, but the vocals are as solid as they have always been. Although the few slower songs are less interesting, the album also has several upbeat alternative rock songs with good beats and melodic guitar riffs. This is a good CD to listen to while driving on a highway, but not one which you'll frequently listen to over a period of several months or years. Keep Calm and Carry On remains loyal to the band's talents however lacks in overall creativity and novelty.

Bigshoutout
    dollyDagger wrote: MONSTA42 wrote: I had no idea that Stereophonics even had a new one out... I'll be getting this soon. same here. i didn't know either. they're good. i bought 2 of their albums last week. they're good. not super amasing, just good ole stereophonics. still probably the best band to ever come from wales.
    Do yourself a favour go check out the Manic Street Preachers. Best best musicians to ever come from Wales.
    LlamaOReliy
    i am in very much agreement with this review, it is a nice solid album with, i feel, a bit more fun than pull the pin. if they took more time on the album and maybe released it next summer then i feel it could have taken its place up with their best. it would have given Kelly time to hone his lyrics and maybe come up with more intricate music (could you be the one prime example) on the more slower songs harking back to J.E.E.P. as for the the more rock songs, the welsh ones are still on form! i would like to hear less of the plain power chord sound and bring back the open chord sound of their earlier efforts like Word Gets Around. tho i have to ask by every band these days are ripping off the Dr Who theme song! haha I got your number is a great track, but the main riff smell like Time Lord to me! have to also agree on the strength of the vocals! i thing its the albums main selling point, definitly going to be such a great live sound! over a good, not great, effort! highlight for me on the album was UpperCut, i think its the best on the album. it sits nicely in the middle as a sort of reward for making it that far through the album and powers you on to listen more and it does not disappoint.
    MONSTA42
    dollyDagger
    dollyDagger
    Red1337Sox
    dollyDagger wrote: Kelly Jones has the greatest voice I've ever heard though. Such an amasing singer. I think the lyrics "lack profoundness" too on most songs on their albums, but who cares, let him write what he wants to write, at least he's not singing the news like 'Bono'. Great singer, good band.
    Your opinion loses credibility with nonsensical Bono hate.
    River1969
    I like this new album ..but i too think it doesn't have the edge lyrically as some of their prior stuff..nevertheless it's still a true Stereophonics sound and a welcome addition to my library.