Language. Sex. Violence. Other? review by Stereophonics

• Released: Mar 29, 2005
Stereophonics: Language. Sex. Violence. Other?

This album obviously had alot of hype leading up to it because people/criticts were wondering when Kelly Jones' and Co. are going to lose the inspiration and skill that has allowed them to release such great songs like 'Bartender And The Thief' and 'Just Looking'. Alot of Stereophonics fans would agree with me when I write that their last studio album 'You Gotta Go There To Come Back' lacked the Drive And Intelligence that their albums before had. Language, Sex, Violence, Other? has managed to recapture the usual catchy and great songs that made 'Word Gets Around' and 'Performance And Cocktails' such enjoyable albums. The sound on this record is of high quality and it seems that the band have changed alot with the introduction of their new drummer, Javier Weyler. There are alot of lyrical and sound enhancements in some of the songs, such as 'Lolita' which offers an extremely catchy chorus and guitar riff. It also seems as if Kelly Jones has been spending alot of time on the guitar solos on this album than other albums. In the opening track 'Superman' there are 2 main guitar solos which have many bends and slides and these solos make the songs sound so new and adventurous.

The lyrics on this album are sometimes simple but give a good description of how the band are feeling in the certain stories told by the songs 'You Made Me Feel Like The One' from 'Dakota' is a good example of this. Kelly Jones has also included certain humorous lines such as 'Suck my banana, suck it with cream' heard on 'Doorman' which is one of the albums most powerful tracks. Songs such as 'Dakota' and 'Rewind' have lyrics which sound like the actual music whereas 'Lolita's main guitar riff sounds exactly like the lyrics. As always Kelly Jones' amazing voice is as distinctive as ever in songs such as 'Superman' and 'Devil' of which sound like classic Stereophonics.

This album is in one word - breathtaking. This would have to be my 2nd favourite album of the Stereophonics' just missing out to the bands second album 'Performance And Cocktails'. The songs which really stand out are 'Superman' (because of it's incredible solos and lyrics), 'Rewind' (because of it's clever lyrics and great chorus) and 'Devil' (because of the sample at the start and it's clever concept). If I lost this album I would replace it because it is now one of my favourite albums in my collection. All in all, a great album from a band who are still producing great songs despite the fact they are on their fifth album.