Live From Dakota review by Stereophonics

• Released: Apr 18, 2006
Stereophonics: Live From Dakota

As with nearly all live albums, the sound for this was taken from the soundboards of the venues they played. There is a raw, rough feel to the whole album that suits it down to the ground. Having seen them myself in Cardiff on 24th September 2005, I can fully appreciate this album and it takes me back to when I was standing there singing along myself. Some of the songs they play sound brilliant live, especially 'Maybe Tomorrow', which Kelly opts to do solo with an acoustic guitar. The crowd is not over-exaggerated either, which is a definite plus. No over-dubbing on this album, it's as live as it gets on record.

Well the lyrics are as good live as they were on the studio versions of the songs. Kelly's distinctive voice has always been something that I've loved about the 'Phonics music, its unique. Whether it be the classic tracks like 'A Thousand Trees', softer ballads like 'Maybe Tomorrow' or newer material like 'Dakota', each track has a great feel to it both in the way it is sung and what the lyrics themselves represent. The new song 'Jayne' isn't bad either.

Definitely one of the best live albums I've heard, the quality is amazing and the whole feel is great. Highlights from the 1st disc for me are 'A Thousand Trees', the epic 'Mr Writer', a personal favourite I hoped they'd play live when I saw them (and did) 'Deadhead', 'Maybe Tomorrow' and 'Local Boy In The Photograph'. However the 2nd disc also offers up the great 'Madame Helga', 'Traffic', 'Just Looking' and of course, 'Dakota'. A really, really good album, a 'greatest hits' of sorts.