Pull The Pin review by Stereophonics

• Released: Oct 1, 2007
Stereophonics: Pull The Pin

'Pull The Pin' marks the return of Welsh trio The Stereophonics after two years of touring, a live album and two DVDs. The new album sounds like a continuation of their fifth album 'Langauge, Sex, Violence, Other' but unlike LSVO this album is based more around the vocals instead of guitar solos like LSVO. Being more of a continuation of LSVO it seems an improvement aswell as the trio explore more of what they can do as a band. The album's sound varies a lot with heavy rockers like Soldiers Make Good Targets, Quick indie rockers like Bank Holiday Monday and next single My Friends, To slow mellow songs like Daisy Lane and It Means Nothing. The most impressive sound on the album must be slow burner Stone whcih starts off with a small over dubbed guitar riff and then turns into a massive sounding chorus laden with guitar overdubs and an intresting drum beat for the chorus.

Kelly Jones' lyrics as usual are brilliant but unlike former albums this album seems more relationship based with songs like Stone, Crush, My Friends and Lady Luck. There is also a softer side to the album though, with songs like Daisy Lane and the lead single It Means Nothing. Kelly Jones' voice is still has the rough sound that it always had but on some tracks (like the lead single It Means Nothing) it seems like he holds his voice back trying to make the song softer.

This album is up there with the best Stereophonics albums like LSVO and Word Gets Around. The most impressive songs are Soldiers Make Good Targets, My Friends, Daisy Lane, Lady Luck and Stone. I love the fact that there are a lot of different sounds on the album with diffrent styles and textures to songs. The only song I don't like on the album is Crush, the song sort of seems backwards with the opening riff and then the hard punky chords. I know I enjoyed this album and I think other people did from the fact that it was number 1, if it were stolen or lost I would deffinitley buy it again.

Hennah
    am i the only one who thinks "drowning" is absolutely stunning!
    the_guy
    nope, its a quality track - but pass the buck, stone and soldiers are all amazing tracks too. great album!
    the_guy
    ^how could i forget that one? i hope they play it at Bournemouth, that will be amazing live.
    Orkin
    Stereo92
    Orkin wrote: One of the most boringly uninteresting Stereophonics albums to do, truely uneventful.
    You couldn't be more wrong