Pull The Pin review by Stereophonics

• Released: Oct 1, 2007
Stereophonics: Pull The Pin

'Pull The Pin' is the latest lip-smackingly hard-hitting instalment from the Welsh trio Stereophonics. After releasing a live album and two DVDs during their two year tour, Stereophonics have now given the fans anew album to add to the collection. The album sounds like a meld of their fifth album Language, Sex, Violence, Other' with riffs and vocals reminiscent of earlier albums such as Performance and Cocktails' and Just Enough Education to Perform'. The album shows how the band has matured musically, as they seem to have taken some of the emotive musical elements from LSVO and Jones's Only The Names Have Been Changed', while retaining some of the quirkiness of earlier albums. Overall they have created an album consisting of heavier songs such as Soldiers Make Good Targets', softer tracks such as It Means Nothing' and an acoustic based gem Bright Red Star'. Definitive Stereophonics.

Kelly Jones' lyrics as usual are exquisite but unlike previous Stereophonics albums Pull The Pin' includes more relationship based songs like Stone, Crush, My Friends and Lady Luck. Themes which Kelly looks to have drawn from his solo album. As can be heard from the flagship single It Means Nothing' there is a softer side to the album. Songs such as Daisy Lane' have a more gentle instrumental backing coupled with smoother vocals and lyrics to give a heartfelt tone. Lady Luck' however is a powerful, emotive song which simply stirs passion.

Being a Stereophonics fan, I suppose I am slightly biased. However from an objective point of view I have to say that this album is not for everyone. Punk lovers may like Crush', however it is not a song that carries the Stereophonics tone that the trio have adopted over the last few albums. The album is littered with different styles, layers and textures, so if you do like the powerful and riff-tastic songs such as LSVO's and the classic sound of Just Enough Education to Perform' then you are likely to consider this album as a real pleasure to listen to. Pull The Pin' will easily please any Stereophonics fan. Personally I really enjoyed the varied sounds and styles of Stereophonics in this album and found myself being completely taken away.