Stereos review by Stereos

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Oct 20, 2009
  • Sound: 2
  • Lyrics: 4
  • Overall Impression: 2
  • Reviewer's score: 2.7 Junky
  • Users' score: 6.1 (42 votes)
Stereos: Stereos
0

Sound — 2
I'll be upfront: I hate this band. I mean it. Well, I'm sure they're cool dudes, but I've never met them, so obviously I'm going by the music alone, and it's awful. It's overly repetitive to the point of being annoying. If you've heard "Summer Girl," you might as well just put it on repeat and listen to it ten times instead of buying the whole album because every song sounds exactly the same. If you like electro-pop with over-saturated autotune, and being annoyed to death for 25 minutes, this album is for you.

Lyrics — 4
I'll give them some credit here. They've got catchy hooks that match the beat of the songs perfectly. I wouldn't expect anything less from a band that basically hit number one overnight after getting a major label record deal. However, the lyrics (and autotune) are still very annoying.

Overall Impression — 2
I've never listened to a record with the intention of writing a review with the intention of totally bashing it, and I probably never will again, just like I'm never going to listen to this record again. It's not like me to review terrible music. Terrible music is best left ignored because if enough people ignore it, it eventually goes away. But this band is a special kind of terrible. I've done my research. I know how much they love haters (in this case, I guess that's me). They're attention whores, and it's reflected in their music. I mean, it's obviously written to sell as many records as possible (news flash: 12 to 15 year-olds will buy any catchy pop music that's marketed to them). I definitely think they're compromising artistic integrity for the sake of making commercial music, the whole art versus product debate. I don't think they're doing it on purpose. They're probably just really bad songwriters, and maybe the singer actually sounds worse without autotune. Either way, they got one lucky break and now they're living their dream. If I were in a talent-less band and were given the same opportunity, I'd probably do the same thing. Who really cares, anyway? Chances are, they'll end up fading into obscurity within a couple years and none of this will matter anymore.

49 comments sorted by best / new / date

    EpiExplorer
    kerokero wrote: I've been a fan of Stereos for....quite some time now. Since they were known as Stand By Me, in fact. Having seen these guys work HARD and grow into what they currently are, having rightfully EARNED the stardom they currently have, I can quite frankly say that this is an awesome piece of work that stays true to what they originally were. Maybe a bit of polishing here and there, but they've openly admit to being a very "pop-oriented" band that caters greatly to their audience. Not pretending to be anything else than teenybooper pop. I can appreciate such honesty from anyone. The musicians in this band are quite talented, know their gear, are VERY dedicated, and write damn catchy music. Me being a alternative kinda guy, while the majority of their music doesn't appeal nor relate to me, I can appreciate the frankness and honesty of their work. Anyone who really doubts this can check out the disband episode that led to their major-label signing by Gene Simmons! =D This is a great band. One I haven't seen coem about in a long while. I hope on successive releases, they improve on their music and hit different musical avenues. They're capable.
    12 to 15 year-olds will buy any catchy pop music that's marketed to them
    Anyone see the relation?
    krehzeekid
    these guys make me embarrassed to be an edmontonian... also, theres a reason (and its not an artistic one...) they use so much auto tune: THE DUDE COULDNT SING TO SAVE HIS LIFE!!!! the only reason they got signed is because they are easily manipulated and catchy making them perfect to abuse for a couple years
    kill it
    an embarrassment to the edmonton music scene and a representation of everything that is wrong in music. no art or musical integrity to be found here.
    teddytheturtle
    I don't want to start a pointless internet fight, so this will be the only comment I'm posting, just to clear a few things up. 1. This is an album review. It's not a review of their live show, their personalities, or even the band as a whole. The only thing that counts in the rating is the music on this particular album, nothing else. 2. Who am I to judge bands? I'm a review writer. I judge bands and then write down my judgments in an interesting way so that people can read it and be entertained. Yeah, I've written songs before and they've all sucked, but I'm not a musician. You don't need to be a gourmet chef to know what makes a great meal. 3. I wrote this review for fun. I thought that was obvious, but if it wasn't, I apologize. Some of my comments were a little exaggerated for effect - basically, instead of boring the reader by listing every little thing I didn't like, I picked a few things and emphasized them. 4. This is MY review, and it is fair because it's my honest, unbiased opinion. If you disagree, you're free to write your own.
    KatanaSTEREOS
    For one I think STEREOS deserve a wayy higher rating than 2.7! Who would be so dumb as to give them a 2.7. oh wait, I guess it's the stupid person that wrote this review. Anyways, so what if they're sound is sort of the same, it's not entirely.. but wouldn't it be kind of weird if they went from singing pop- rockish songs to Heavy Metal and country? It would be. And not EVERYBODY in the world is going to like them. But they have ALOT of great fans; and they mean more to STEREOS than anything else. And Pat has also said before that if you don't like they're music sound, well he doesn't care. And I agree, like who gives a crap about your guys opinions. They really mean nothing and it's a waste of your time to trash talk an amazing band like them. Also, if you haven't seen them live, met them or anything (all in which I have) then you can't say shit because you haven't got to see what their ammazing at, which it performing. Also, whoever said that Pat probably sucks without Auto-tune and that they use too much auto-tune; I think you're a dumbass. Why? because maybe you should watch some of their Acoustic performances because he's A WAY better singer than half the "huge famous" singers out there. And they DON'T use too much Auto-tune at all; like have you heard of Lil Wayne, T- Pain and Akon? You obviously haven't if you say STEREOS use to much auto-tune. I think I've let my thoughts out and all my opinions on the haters. And, I rated this album a 10, because well, they deserve it!!! P.S. HATERS MAKE YOU FAMOUS!!!!!
    aStereosLVR
    Stereos = ♥ Stereos are some of the nicest most talented guys that i know! there songs are catchy and the are amazing live! An dthey dont always use autotune, if you go listen to their album you can see that several of the songs dont use it such as Hey Cupid, give you up, butterflies, and jet black cadillac! I have seen Them live 3 times and already have tickets to see them a 4th time! their live shows are amazing and they are great to their fans! They deserve way nore than a 2.7! I, as well as several of their fans, am not in the 12-15 age categorie, and am one of their biggest fans! if you think they have no tlaent then go listen to some of their acoustic stuff & you'll see that they're amazing stripped down!
    krissibear
    I been a fan of them since they been on disband and they have worked so hard to get where they are now. There the amazing band ever and also my favorite band and you have no right to trash talk them, there music and lyrics and catchy and well written, why do you think they got signed write away, its cause they have talent and i bet everyone who has taste in music will agree with me. Im 18 years old and I am such a big fan of them, I seen them twice live and I hope they come back so I can see them again. I also got to meet them and they are the most kindest guys ever and they would do anything for their fans. Stereos are gonna be successful for a long time and there are lots of people who love them and yes they love hatters cause hatters make you famous. Sterehoe for life
    nibrock
    2.7? com'on.... i've loved stereos ever since ive seen them on disband, i love pat's voice, i think that the autotune is more of a self confindence thing... i've seen them live 3 times, and each time im blown away. They've worked so hard to get to where they are now, and i know for a fact that they deserve way more than a 2.7 .... I dont really understand how all the songs sound the same, but i mean it is the same band and the same singer... if they sounded completely different that would be wrong. so you can hate stereos all you want, but haters make you famous. just sayin.
    beachgirl
    I am a HUGE Stereos fan! Let me just start off with obviously 2.7 is a mistake. I agree with most of these people that said they worked so hard to get where they are now, because they did! Going Gold over night, getting signed by Gene Simmons(which they DID) you CANNOT say that didn't take work and that doesn't take talent because if you did you would be lying. Haters Make You Famous (L) Oh and might want to meet them before bashing them, because they are such great guys, they don`t deserve this.
    Puce31
    Stereos is awesome!!! I met them and the guys are so cool! They really love their fans and it shows! Their music is really catchy and having fun and up-tempo songs doesn't mean they are bad songwritters. The lyrics of their songs are awesome, and so it the music. Now maybe you don't like them but it's no use bashing them. Real fans will love them anyway and everyone that will hear their songs on the radio will just love it! It's addictive!
    danielleohhh
    I am obesessed with Stereos They make such amazing music, they're great live and they are super nice guys! I've met them once...Pat Kordyback is a sweetheart I defintely they are being underrated on here...2.7 is ridiculous, Stereos is one of the best bands in Canada right now...Not every band in Canada can say that they rose to fame literally overnight. One day they were just 5 regular guys and the next BAM! fans all across Canada are lining up to meet them! I really think Stereos has a long, successful future ahead of them
    love3665
    i love this Band. they are so nice. why would you hate them. by that meaning giving them SUCH a low rating. their songs all have meaning. i love them
    Love_Buzz
    Stereos aren't an embarrassment to Edmonton.. Chris Benoit is. Stereos are just an honest pop band making a living.. They play their own instruments and sing in a way that is in a lot of pop music these days. If that's what they wanna do, then good for them.
    xguiltybydesign
    I know every band has haters, but 2.7? Really? Stereos deserve more than that. Just because YOU hate their music, doesn't mean they deserve a 2.7. They are a hard working band who most people love, and respect. They are truly nice guys, and I strongly disagree with your rating. I'm not trying to start a fight here, but im my opinion, these guys deserve a much higher rating than what you've given them. That is all.
    daFranOs
    Okay, I understand that everybody has a right to their opinion so here is mine. I think Stereos are a fantastic band and they have worked so hard to get to where they are now! I mean they come from Edmonton where the music scene isn't very big. Greg Nori who is one of the most respected Canadian producers of all time and lead singer from the awesome band Treble Charger think that they are great and come on they were signed by the one and only Gene Simmons! So no matter what you say I think that Stereos should get way more than a 2.7!
    tiana94
    Yes, they are cool dudes. Met them all four times. And no doubt about it, they are great guys to be around. And by the way, their songs do NOT all sound the same, so apparently you haven't listened to more than one song. I'm not sure how you find the lyrics annoying, if you actually took the time to listen to them, they are better than most other bands that are out there. They are not attention *****s, nor will they ever be. They are just a bunch of guys, doing what they love and having a good time. They aren't bad songwriters either. All of their songs have a story behind them, and "the singer", yeah he has a name. Pat. He is NOT worse without autotune. He sounds good both ways. You need to stop being so negative.
    Music7793
    Stereos is such a great band. They have very catchy melodies in all of their songs and great lyrics to accompany them. This album is definitly one that can be listened to from beginning to end.
    sanchezxo
    First off, stereos in an amazing band. Their songs are very catchy and always end up getting stuck in my head. They're amazing live & they're super nice people. I've met them like 5 times now & I'm thankful for every chance I get. They definitely deserve a higher rating than what they got!
    MUSIC15
    I've been a fan of Stereos for....quite some time now. Since they were known as Stand By Me. so first off, stereos in an amazing band.Yes, they are cool dudes. Met them all two times.I'm thankful for every chance I get. And no doubt about it, they are great guys to be around. theyhave very catchy melodies in all of their songs and great lyrics to accompany them.I'm not sure how you find the lyrics annoying, if you actually took the time to listen to them, they are better than most other bands that are out there. yes the singer he has a name, Pat. He is NOT worse without autotune.they are amazing with out it. You need to stop being so negative. come on now 2.7 is ridiculous.They definitely deserve a higher rating.
    laurenserianni
    I've been a fan for awhile now, and seeing how hard they worked to achive everything that they have is awesome. They make great, catchy songs that are always getting stuck in my head. All of their songs do not sound the same, you obviously haven't listened to the whole record, and they definatly deserve more than a 2.7
    OCEANNEstereos
    I love their music. I've seen them live three times and each time they keep getting better, I originally saw them before their album was out and they were awesome, I've already got tickets again. So what if they use auto-tune? So many other artists use it! So what if it's got repition? Half the songs out there are, it's pop and it's catchy. And Haters are what make them famous because they talk about them.I love their album and everytime I listen to it, it makes me wanna dance. I think they've got good music.
    kaitSTEREOS
    I love STEREOS! They are awesome and I dont see why they have received a very low rating. 2.7? oh and yes very much agreed that they most definately worked so hard to get where they are now! I'm just another Stereos Fan and i do know that they love their fans very much and but of course where would they be without our support ? Stereos say that haters only make you more famous and i guess they're right! Please people ....i know we all have our own opinions but some of these comments are just brutal. I like stereos very much and do think their songs are catchy for sure. support support support
    RobinSTEREOS
    Ok, first of all - to all of you haters: Haters make you famous!! Stereos are an amazing band and I have loved them for so long! And whoever thinks they're gay: no it's not true. I even talked to the lead singer Pat to his face a few weeks ago and he even said it's not true! Ok and their music is awesome! If their music wasn't good, I wouldn't have seen them live 4 times! I play the piano and the guitar and I know about music! They are also really nice people and they actually talk to their fans! There songs are catchy and they have really good lyrics! Stereos: ROCK ON!
    ILoveStereos
    Hello reviewer! I would just like to say : SCREW YOU!!!!! STEREOS ARE THE RADDEST BAND IN THE UNIVERSE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU PUT UP SOME OF YOUR CRAPPY MUSIC! PLEASE DO NOT BE JEALOUS OF THEIR PERFECTION. AND THEY ARE THE NICEST GUYS YOU WILL EVER MEET! AND PAT SOUND SOOOOO AMAZING WITHOUT AUTOTUNE TOO! GO ON ITUNES AND BUY SUMMER GIRL ACOUSTIC(IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT YOU A**!!!) AND NOT ONLY 12-15 YEAR GIRLS LIKE THEM. I KNOW 20 YEAR OLDS AND OVER THAT LOVE THEM AND I'M NOT JUST SAYING THAT. THEY'RE #1 BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT AND THEY'VE EARNED IT. MUSIC IS A MATTER OF OPIONION MAN! AND IN THIS CASE, WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOURS!! THEY HAVE MORE TALENT THEN ANYONE I HAVE EVER MET! AND HOW DO THEIR SONGS SOUND THE SAME?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? WHY DON'T YOU GO DIE IN A HOLE!? THEIR LYRICS ARE CATCHY AND AMAZING AND BREATHTAKING AND JUST PERFECT! AND WHEN I FIRST HEARD THEIR ALBUM I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. ALSO, THEY ARE NOT TERRIBLE. YOU ARE!!! F.Y.I THEY DO WRITE ALL OR THEIR SONGS!!! EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! THEY MIGHT HAVE HELP BUT THEY WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS!! YOU WOULD KNOW THAT IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM INSTEAD OF TRASH-TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS ABOUT. AND YES THEY DO LOVE THEIR HATERS SO KEEP ON HATING BECAUSE IT JUST MAKES THEM WORK TWICE AS HARD!!!!! HATERS MAKE YOU FAMOUS!!! HAHAH SUCK ON THAT!!! I LOVE STEREOS AND NEVER WILL STOP!
    kerokero
    KramerW5150 I dont believe they were signed by gene simmons..he has his own label and they are not part of it
    Watch their signing episode. Simmons plays a VERY large roll in their signing to a major label. I didn't say they were signed to his label, but he's a big reason behind it. @EpiExplorer-And wahts wrong with that? If an audience likes a certian type of music, they'll buy into it. Same applies to pretty much every genre. I love Megadeth, so I bouhgt Megadeth albums. Through them, I learned Metallica, Machine Head, and so-on and so forth. This isn't a new trend.
    kerokero
    I've been a fan of Stereos for....quite some time now. Since they were known as Stand By Me, in fact. Having seen these guys work HARD and grow into what they currently are, having rightfully EARNED the stardom they currently have, I can quite frankly say that this is an awesome piece of work that stays true to what they originally were. Maybe a bit of polishing here and there, but they've openly admit to being a very "pop-oriented" band that caters greatly to their audience. Not pretending to be anything else than teenybooper pop. I can appreciate such honesty from anyone. The musicians in this band are quite talented, know their gear, are VERY dedicated, and write damn catchy music. Me being a alternative kinda guy, while the majority of their music doesn't appeal nor relate to me, I can appreciate the frankness and honesty of their work. Anyone who really doubts this can check out the disband episode that led to their major-label signing by Gene Simmons! =D This is a great band. One I haven't seen coem about in a long while. I hope on successive releases, they improve on their music and hit different musical avenues. They're capable.
    Bjorney
    Singer wears kingdoms merchandise in all their promo shots, so its pretty apparent they have good taste in music and just disregard it for the sake of commercialism
    bokma
    I hear none the songs were actually written by the band and they just hired studio musicians to play all the instruments for the album except the vocals.
    KramerW5150
    kerokero wrote: Anyone who really doubts this can check out the disband episode that led to their major-label signing by Gene Simmons! =D
    I dont believe they were signed by gene simmons..he has his own label and they are not part of it
    The_Wilrus
    lazy dude with good music taste just wanting to be famous so they wrote a lazy pop record. bang on the compromise part. (they are douchebags to)
    bobtrack
    I know the guitar player and he's a cool dude, but the music is brutal. I wish his old band Calico Drive would've gotten signed. At least that singer could sing without autotune
    EpiExplorer
    kerokero wrote: KramerW5150 I dont believe they were signed by gene simmons..he has his own label and they are not part of it Watch their signing episode. Simmons plays a VERY large roll in their signing to a major label. I didn't say they were signed to his label, but he's a big reason behind it. @EpiExplorer-And wahts wrong with that? If an audience likes a certian type of music, they'll buy into it. Same applies to pretty much every genre. I love Megadeth, so I bouhgt Megadeth albums. Through them, I learned Metallica, Machine Head, and so-on and so forth. This isn't a new trend.
    I just thought I'd throw it out there, lulz.. to his and his own and all that, but just to point it out
    ecjwrscwluv
    Personally, I love their music. No, I didn't watch the dis-band episode, in fact, I haven't watched them on TV at all, I listen to the music, then looks at who plays it. And no, I'm not 12-15, and before you say 'well then you obviously don't know music', you should know I sing, play guitar, tenor sax and piano, so, yeah, I kinda do. So, setting aside whatever they do on TV, setting aside the 'well you only like them 'casue they're hot' it's their live performance that got me hook, line and sinker. I've seen them live three times and each time they keep getting better, I originally saw them before their album was out and they were awesome, I've already got tickets again. So, so what if they use auto-tune? do you know how many other artists out there do? So what if it's got repition? half the songs out there do, also, it's pop, which is known for catchy and repetitive. And so what if they 'love their haters'? haters make you famous, the more they talk about them, the more other people hear about them. I think the album is catchy and dancable, it's fun and it's easy to listen to, there's not dozens of layers to dig through to hear ll the elements. Music doesn't always need to be really technical, and good for whoever wrote it if it is. I think they've got good music that apeals to a large audience. People talk about 'lucky breaks' but, is lucky really the word? they got a record deal, which means that people liked them, it's not liek someone's walking down the street going 'hey, you look like a good band... have a record deal!', that just doesn't happen, some talent was recognized, as I believe it should have been and they were signed.
    trendkill-
    kerokero wrote: I've been a fan of Stereos for....quite some time now. Since they were known as Stand By Me, in fact. Having seen these guys work HARD and grow into what they currently are, having rightfully EARNED the stardom they currently have, I can quite frankly say that this is an awesome piece of work that stays true to what they originally were. Maybe a bit of polishing here and there, but they've openly admit to being a very "pop-oriented" band that caters greatly to their audience. Not pretending to be anything else than teenybooper pop. I can appreciate such honesty from anyone. The musicians in this band are quite talented, know their gear, are VERY dedicated, and write damn catchy music. Me being a alternative kinda guy, while the majority of their music doesn't appeal nor relate to me, I can appreciate the frankness and honesty of their work. Anyone who really doubts this can check out the disband episode that led to their major-label signing by Gene Simmons! =D This is a great band. One I haven't seen coem about in a long while. I hope on successive releases, they improve on their music and hit different musical avenues. They're capable.
    cant believe a thing you see on the so called music channels.
    FiNNi
    The Stereos singer attended my high school. DX @Love_Buzz, Sure, they can do what they want, but that doesn't mean their music should be praised solely because the music they make is "what they wanna do". If their music is bad, there's nothing wrong with calling it bad (in whoever's opinion it is).
    trendkill-
    kerokero wrote: KramerW5150 I dont believe they were signed by gene simmons..he has his own label and they are not part of it Watch their signing episode. Simmons plays a VERY large roll in their signing to a major label. I didn't say they were signed to his label, but he's a big reason behind it. @EpiExplorer-And wahts wrong with that? If an audience likes a certian type of music, they'll buy into it. Same applies to pretty much every genre. I love Megadeth, so I bouhgt Megadeth albums. Through them, I learned Metallica, Machine Head, and so-on and so forth. This isn't a new trend.
    yes you did say he signed them
    check out the disband episode that led to their major-label signing by Gene Simmons!
    sassamafras
    they're catchy, but you're over analyzing them a little too much. At least they openly state the fact that they are pop, and aren't in denial about it. Besides, is anything pumped out by Much music supposed to be great anyways? if you dont like them, its all good. I personally dont.
    justinmccoy_21
    Bjorney wrote: Singer wears kingdoms merchandise in all their promo shots, so its pretty apparent they have good taste in music and just disregard it for the sake of commercialism
    Sorry but they are probably forced to do that since they are actually on the same record label, which is Underground Operations...which also has Protest the Hero on it, one of the best bands today
    ShyGuy {IZAIAH}
    kerokero wrote: I've been a fan of Stereos for....quite some time now. Since they were known as Stand By Me, in fact. Having seen these guys work HARD and grow into what they currently are, having rightfully EARNED the stardom they currently have, I can quite frankly say that this is an awesome piece of work that stays true to what they originally were. Maybe a bit of polishing here and there, but they've openly admit to being a very "pop-oriented" band that caters greatly to their audience. Not pretending to be anything else than teenybooper pop. I can appreciate such honesty from anyone. The musicians in this band are quite talented, know their gear, are VERY dedicated, and write damn catchy music. Me being a alternative kinda guy, while the majority of their music doesn't appeal nor relate to me, I can appreciate the frankness and honesty of their work. Anyone who really doubts this can check out the disband episode that led to their major-label signing by Gene Simmons! =D This is a great band. One I haven't seen coem about in a long while. I hope on successive releases, they improve on their music and hit different musical avenues. They're capable.
    i heard the voice of a 7 year old trying to sound like an adult in my head the entire time i read this comment..
    Elianee
    I actually really love them. Their songs are super catchy and fun to sing!
    NikiiNauseaa
    so i'd just like to say, who are you to judge bands? especially this band. Have you ever written a song? or anything because i'm pretty sure you couldn't. And stereos have been my favourite band i've been supporting them ever since they were Stand By Me and I will never stop. And "Attention Whores" They're artists of course they want attention but do you think they asked for haters? that's obviously not the attention they want. I know so many people and they love stereos. And if you did you're homework there's more than 10 tracks buddy. They have singles, and a whole deluxe album. They deserve more than 2.7 any band that can play with Hedley must be amazing. And auto-tune? They use it but not over use it. It's bullshit that people bash people who use auto-tune it's still music and have you looked around? In the studio how many artist tweek their music? Maybe you should be more open-minded if you want to right reviews, because you really shouldn't have this page. and at least they don't sound like T-Pain oh and they were signed my universal music and the singers favourite brand of clothes are mypetninja and Pat(singer) writes all the music himself he made that very clear after disband.
    savannahxx
    if you dont like this band, maybe its cause you dont like pop? maybe its not your thing? but this band tries very hard and i think their songs are amazing. also these boys are amazingly nice and i love them peace, love, stereos
    stereosfan4321
    I have been a Stereos Fan Since the Start. and i must say they are one of the BEST bands i have ever heard.