Alien Love Secrets [DVD] review by Steve Vai

• Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Steve Vai: Alien Love Secrets [DVD]

The fuzz sound for all the songs is Vai's usual one. During the video he plays on his main Ibanez or Devil as he usually calls it but in few colors: one is white, the second one is black. He also uses a brass slide for some songs. The sound is relly cool and impressive.

Content — 9
The first song of the DVD is the Bad Horsie. Vai and other players got a metallic paint on their skins. This song got heavy rhythm and sharp crying solo. As I sad he uses a brass slide for some extra sound like horse's. The fuzz sound for all the songs is Vai's usual one. During the video he plays on his main Ibanez or Devil as he usually calls it but in few colors: one is white, the second one is black. The second song (Juice) is a lighter than the first one. So is the third song (Die to live). The forth is even more lighter than others. At the beginning Vai plays with clean sound but than The fifth song is called Ya-Yo Gakk. A really strange name (just between us I hate this song). A little guys (children) are singing playing on bass and on drum (actually the aren't, it's made just for beauty). The Kill The Guy With The Ball starts with his riffs and Vai is just singing something like Ayi-Wai-Ao-Ua-Yao), and so not bad. Next song is the last one and a good one: Tender Surrender.

Production Quality — 10
The video quality is good enough as well as the audio is to watch the DVD for a few times and not only one time. I don't know what to say else. The DVD has a several ways for sound output, so you can adjust it to your taste. Also it got Dearange future. Not bad, not bad at all!

The DVD has got a lot of futures: extra stuff, derange (program for the videos), audio tracks (just options between 5.1 surround, 2.1 surround and Steve's Comments) and video selection. Extra stuff has got sum sub futures: about Steve (in text format), Fire Garden EPS (about Steve in video format), about this DVD (some warnings and copyright terms) and his discography. Steve's comments. Now this one is a cool future. Steve tells about the song, how did he composed it and so while the main video is going. For example he tells that he wrote some riffs (from Bad Horsie) for Crossroads (the film) and than wrote the complete song.

webbtje
    EllttEll
    ldnovelo : i also confused ray with vai. i tought they were the same dude. steve vai stevie ray if you knew nothing about guitar would you confuse them? i would
    sorry but it must be said...idiot, you dont need to be a guitarist to know artist of music
    stalefishtweak
    yohst wrote: Wow, I love reading the awesome arguments that come out when a Steve Vai DVD is being discussed. How about Jason Becker vs. Shawn Lane? I agree with the comments about the grammar, English must not have been this persons first language.
    I havnt heard Shawn Lane.... but if he has got songs better than Altitudes or End of the beginning then im really impressed..... Altitudes was something else!!
    stalefishtweak
    wat jeff master and insomnia 47 said is totally true..... hendrix didn't hav a guitar god to relate to at his time he was the first of the guitar god group of musicians.... steve vai on the other hand lives in an age full of them like satch,malmsmteem,MAB,gilbert etc etc its a long list..... but i wud vote for vai any day ..... Lotus feet, For the Love of god, Firewall.... not that i dont like the voodoo child but steve's songs are really something else.... or maybe its coz ive been hearing jimmy's songs for too long now....
    johnysuperfly
    alright hendrix was a influence to alot of guitars today but guitar has come a long way.vai would tear both stevie ray and hendrix apart just by talking about guitar
    guitarfreak222
    i wanna join this argument about jimi hendrix and these stevie ray and steve vai personally i like steve vai
    Vendetta V
    JimiHendrix11 : Hendrix rocks and so does stevie but jimi is way better
    that's for sure
    jpgr1987
    I did buy it after being impressed by the Tender Surrender vid on Youtube, hated it though. I find this music addictive to watch as it looks so impressive but an utter nightmare to listen to, it's like elevator music.
    Roybordom
    Bun.Master wrote: ummmm.....only 9 years late....
    yeah. i gotta agree with this guy, but either way, its a badass album, so go buy it
    JeffMaster
    Spl!nTeRgu!tAr wrote: JimiHendrix11 wrote: who do think would win in a guiatr battle. Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray? whether u mean SRV or Vai theyd both kick Hendrixs ass In terms of technicality Hendrix sucks monkey balls
    now, I'm not quite sure that's fair to say... Hendrix was a revolutionist, and in my mind he's the greatest guitar player of all time. Let's face it, even if Hendrix wasn't the best technical player... he's still has to be number one because of his influence. Everyone knows Hendrix, most know Vaughan, and well sadly, basically only guitar players know of Vai (no offence, I met him, it was amazing). Also think about the time in which they existed, Vai gets the factors of experiences of hearing and learning from players like Hendrix and Vaughan, whereas Hendrix didn't have that privilege. in terms of kicking ass, I'd say it'd be a close call, but Hendrix would come out on top, he's a madman
    yohst
    humpacow6
    Insomnia57 : You can't really tell which is better, it all depends on which style you like...and what drugs your on...
    haha
    Thursdae
    jack_demo wrote: you can't compare Vai to Hendrix, sure they both play guitar but similarities end there. Vai plays mainly fast paced metal guitar (eugines trick bag) sometimes mixed with ambient guitar (somewhere over the rainbow) and Hendrix played rock, mainly hard rock or psychadellic rock. however saying that Vai's live version of little wing is a great cover and so my vote has to go to vai...
    You can't compare them, correct.. however you're wrong on what Vai's style is... the man makes incredibly different music he hardly fits into a specific genre. Vai didn't write/play Somewhere Over The Rainbow.. it was some shred guitarist whose name escapes me. Vai is not just a metal or speed-based guitarist though, he has incredible diversity.
    Dnalrafcmb3
    Insomnia57 wrote: You can't really tell which is better, it all depends on which style you like...and what drugs your on...
    lol true...true....but why did we start talking about guitar battles instead of steve vai?
    Jondy
    whatever guys, hendrix is god and vai would be nothing without his influence.
    jack_demo
    ldnovelo
    Insomnia57
    bluesblaster
    Stevie Ray Vai, eh?
    htsktim91989
    terrible review. what happened to people using correct grammar and punctuation? half of the shit people post today i cannot even decipher, it makes me so mad. does this bother anyone else?
    Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
    Lackesse
    webbtje wrote: Not a great review, really don't like your style. Can you fix some of the spelling too? "The forth is even more lighter than"
    Absolutely true.....weak review.Like computer
    MaggaraMarine
    Since when has Steve called his guitar "Devil"? It's Jem and the main Jem he is playing is "Evo". And the review wasn't that great.