Alive In An Ultra World review by Steve Vai

• Released: Jun 19, 2001
Steve Vai: Alive In An Ultra World

There isn't one specific sound to this album. The concept is this: on his 1999 Ultra Zone World Tour, he would write songs for each of the countries he went to (note: He didn't write a song for every single country he went to, but he did cover a lot). The songs written for each country would reflect the style of music they play there. "Blood And Glory," the song for the United Kingdom, has a very majestic, British sound (Sounds a lot like Brian May), and "Iberian Jewel," the song for Spain uses flamenco guitar. Each song brings out the music of the country, it's pure brilliance.

There's only lyrics to two songs on this album: "Light Of The Moon," the song for Australia, and "Alive In An Ultra World," the song for Slovenia. "Light Of The Moon," the highlight of the album in my opinion, has awesome lyrics for a ballad. "Alive In An Ultra World's" lyrics aren't highly memorable, but it's still a good song. Other than that, it's all instrumental. And the guitar playing itself is the lyrics.

Vai brings it here. After the iffy album "The Ultra Zone," he makes up for it ten times over with this brilliant CD. It's a live album, but it's all new material. Each song was written for a different country, and each reflected the sound of the country he was in. It's sheer brilliance, most of these songs were written in sounchecks right before the show. "Giant Balls of Gold" was improvised, which just proves his brilliance. Overall, the best live album I have ever heard. Brilliance.

DougC84
    it's a great vai cd, but i don't think it has the compositional genius that his studio tunes had. not that it's a bad album, i just think it would have been even more mind-blowing if Vai would have waited one more year and continued to work on the overall composition of these tunes.
    Wylde14
    But the whole idea was to make the album organic, every song was written the same day it was performed. and to think that he could write, in my opinion his best song, whispering a prayer at a sound check is mind blowing
    GreekRockr9
    Stop Messin' wrote: Steve Vai is hot. I'd sex him good
    So would I, friend. So would I. I must say, "Whispering a Prayer" is the absolute best song Vai has ever written in my opinion. Did anybody else pick up his new album, "Sound Theories"? On the song "Shadows and..." from the second disc, the pianist incorporates the motif from "Whispering a Prayer" into the piece. It's a pretty amazing album. I haven't picked up "Alive in Ultra World" yet, but I should soon.
    POWERMETAL!
    Hidde wrote: I'm guessing whoever voted 1 is part of the "iTz goT no em0ti0n!!11!" crowd
    i don't think anyone puts more emotion into anything than Vai does. the guy is absolutly genius.
    Nhex (PT)
    i would like to see him live this month back in Portugla but i dont know yet
    irishman
    "whisperong a prayer" is one of the best songs i ever heard, its about ireland and he played it the last time he was here, blew the roof off the place, vai kills. FACT
    KissingShadows
    This is a GREAT CD. I don't know who voted it a 1 but you can't possibly dislike this CD, that's how good it is.
    Hidde