Real Illusions: Reflections review by Steve Vai

• Released: Feb 22, 2005
Steve Vai: Real Illusions: Reflections

To start off I would like to say I'm a huge Steve Vai fan as well as Joe Satriani. This new CD by Steve Vai, master of the 6 string, is a sort of a rock opera. You may be asking how Steve Vai could make an opera, he is a instrumentalist, for the most part. On this CD he sings on several songs, an example is he song Firewall, which has a disco feel with tight chops backing it. But basically this album is Vai shredding as usual.

Steve has a good voice, and his singing songs have decent lyrics. I would give the lyrics a much lower score if he didnt go with the the guitar note for note. For example the song K'm-Pee-Du-Wee he makes the guitar actually say K'm-Pee-Du-Wee, it's amazing. So his work with his voice going along with the guitar perfectly gives him points.

This is defenently a good album, all Vai fans should purchase it. It is a great lisening experiance for a guitarist, and bassist alike, Billy Sheenan Shreads! The best songs on the album are Freak Show Excess, which has amazing lead and a trippy citar intro. My other favorite songs on the CD were Building The Church, Under It All, and Lotus Feet. The thing I love about this album is the amazing chops of Steve Vai and the way his voice works with his guitar, and he makes the guitar say things. The thing I dislike most about this album are the semi-Cheezy lyrics, there not too bad thou. This album couldn't be stolen because its on my iPod and iTunes, but if they were deleted I would defenently buy this amazing CD again.