Real Illusions: Reflections review by Steve Vai

• Released: Feb 22, 2005
Steve Vai: Real Illusions: Reflections

Vai is the greatest modern spectacle in the guitar world today. He has totally enveloped me in his sound. The songs on this album are just grandeus and beautiful. From all his tapping techniques to his whammy bar skills, he amazes me every album. This is no different from albums like Alien Love Secrets or Sex And Religion, it is a work of art. The only way you could define his sound is to just make up a new word and just define it as "Steve Vai." From his beautiful orchestrated piece, "Lotus Feet," to his otherworldly "Yai Yai," Vai proves that he can do just about anything with a guitar. Even if some of the songs are gimmicky, they still make me admire his prowess at playing licks that I could never have imagined possible.

I hate all these people saying Steve sucks at writing songs. I loved all the lyrics on these albums. "Dying For Your Love" was pretty cool, "Firewall" was just crazy with its scat-like intro, "I'm Your Secrets" was so deep, and "Under It All" really delves into the human psyche. I love his songwriting techniques. His voice isn't exactly the best one out there, but I love it.

I love this man! He has given us greatness in one, small, cellophane-wrapped package, and we should all be glad he's still able to make stuff like this at his age. I was blown away by "Freak Show Excess," which in my personal opinion could rival the likes of "Eruption." "Lotus Feet" was just a beautiful piece of music I never thought possible. And, my personal favorite, "Yai Yai" was just mind-boggling. I loved every second of this album, and look forward to its sequels.