Real Illusions: Reflections review by Steve Vai

• Released: Feb 22, 2005
Steve Vai: Real Illusions: Reflections

Steve is quite the guitar master. But he is also an incredible musician, composer, and songwriter. The albums he creates are emotional, spiritual, heavy, and very creative and unique. I must say this album blew me away. I already had Passion and Warfare, which is arguably his best work, and still I was blown away by his emotion and pure talent. The sound is its own and cannot be compared to his other works, just like P&W had its own sound.

Lyrics are good and mostly simple and sometimes deep and poetic. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like Steve's voice. Hes obviously not the greatest singer, but he can sing and steps up to the challenge and does a good job. There is also a little story that goes with the album, since it is part 1 of his rock opera.

The best songs are Building the Church, Glorious, Km-Pee-Du-Wee, Lotus Feet, Midway Creatures, I'm Your Secrets, and, Under It All. The others are great as well. Dying For Your Love grows on you a lot, so you probably wont like it too much at first but it grows on you a lot. If I lost it I would definatly get it again. If your a fan of Vai I also reccomend his epic live album, Alive in an Ultra World.