Sex And Religion review by Steve Vai

• Released: Jul 27, 1993
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Steve Vai: Sex And Religion

When I first heard about Steve Vai I was really excited. If this dude can really play like they said he could, his album should be amazing. I went to HMV to buy it the next day. I was very surprised when I listened to it. Most of the songs suck, and go on for way too long. The bassist seems to be playing a different song on a couple of occasions - 'In My Dreams With You' and the title track being the most notable. Vai can clearly play the guitar amazingly well, but on many songs you get the feeling that he's just showing off. In this sense the album, for me, was more like jazz-it seems the band themselves are having fun but aren't letting the audience in on it. Some songs however, do shine through as being great tracks - 'Deep Down Into The Pain' and the sitar driven 'State Of Grace' are awesome. But many tracks are marred by recordings of other things - Deep Down Into The Pain has a woman screaming in agony constantly throughout, and the incredibly bizarre-and also crap - 'Pig' ends with a shedful of the song's namesake squealing like mad. Devin Townsend vocals on this record, yet his voice seems lost amidst the bassist going on some freaky funk trip, Steve Vai playing seven guitars at once, and the drummer occasionally hitting the snare to make it look like he's doing something.

I like Devin Townsends voice. He wails, he moans, he screams, but he really is out of place on this turgid album. I was appalled at the lyrics - Strapping Young Lad's lyrics are always fine, until I read that Vai wrote them too. Now I understand. The album's art is full of Buddhist paintings, and Vai seems to be trying to express Buddhist style poetry in these lyrics. He also seems to be trying to rip off SOAD by using surreal imagery 'those creatures, evangelist preachers, the one that takes money, in the promise of hope' but he's failing. Big time.

Steve Vai sure can play that guitar. Devin Townsend sure can sing. But somehow, the two just don't mix. Vai should try playing simpler songs, and not rying to stick every riff in the galaxy into one ten minute bore-a-thon, and Townsend should just run away and concentrate on his other groups. The problem with Steve Vais music is, he's so good it's obscene, and he shows off a lot. I hear he was taught by Joe Satriani, but if you have to choose between the, go for the wiser mentor, not the excitable protege.

darkowns
    he has alot of good points in what he says, vai does tend to show off and try to add to much to his songs you shouldnt defend people to the death just because you like them, only if theres real reason to, and vai over-does it alot
    Chikao42
    i-am-nick wrote: I'm a huge Vai fan but this is the only album I don't like.
    What about Flexable-leftovers? I actually loved this album, one of his best, I think.
    dio_dude
    I think vai is a great guitarist, but I don't like most of his songs. Although he is propably the best at what he does. The same for joe satriana, 'Borg Sex'? 'Mystical Potato Man Head Groove Thing'? Weird
    brush200400
    it never said HIM, it said he (Steve Vai)
    Stuminton
    rush4life
    I love that comment about him ripping of System before System was even formed.
    1h81337
    brush200400 wrote: strong_wizard wrote: Rofl HIM trying to rip of SOAD? By using surrealism!? How long's it been around for? it never said HIM, it said he (Steve Vai)
    ...i really hope thats a joke...
    APillowofWinds
    wow yeah vai really ripped off soad there. this album came out in 1993 jackass. anyway ive heard mixed things about this album for years but because I am such a huge Vai fan ive been looking for it forever but cant find it anywhere so I guess ill go online and get it.
    bawjaws
    Stuminton wrote: and the drummer occasionally hitting the snare to make it look like he's doing something lol
    orly? check terry bozzio out on youtube!! His best album..less wank more feeling.
    Guitar2theface
    This review is retarded, but I hated this album. I mean I love Steve Vai, don't get me wrong, but this album was nothing compared to his others.
    SilverSpurs616
    Absolutley foolish review. I refuse to listen to the album simply because I loathe Devin Townsend. I thought I'd read a review to try and change my mind. You failed.