The 7th Song: Enchanting Guitar Melodies - Archive Review

Genres: Guitar Virtuoso, Hard Rock, Instrumental Rock
 9.1
 8.2
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
The 7th Song: Enchanting Guitar Melodies - Archive Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2006

Sound: "The 7th Song" is a very unorthodox approach of a compilation type album, since it features the 7th song from all the previous albums by Steve Vai. It also appears that Vai always has reserved the number seven slot in his albums as place for an emotion-driven guitar ballad. This album Features some of Vai's greatest and most touching tracks such as "For The Love Of God" or "Tender Surrender". The album also feature three new tracks, "Wall Of Lights", "Boston Rain Melody" and taking the number seven slot "Melissa's Garden." // 10

Lyrics: Steve Vai doesn't need spoken words to make lyrics. His immeasurable artistry shows how lyrics can come out of guitar strings. This album would have to be the containment of the greatest lyrical content coming from guitars. Steve's guitars ballads are the most beautiful things to listen to if you are an appriciator of the sound of the guitar. His skills are highlighted in every tracks especially the openning track "For The Love Of God" previously from the album "Passion And Warfare". For those who already do not know this track it happens to be one of the greatest guitar solos of all time. The stormy openning sets the standard for the rest of the tracks. The well justified 7th track "Melissa's Garden" is another example of Vai's inhumane artistry and perhaps the main reason for buying this album. This song features Vai playing a nylon string acoustic guitar, and almost to a point of occasionally 'shredding' it. This track is multi-layered and very soulful. It was perhaps a very beautiful tribute to Melissa's and not intended for live performing (due to the layering of guitars). "Boston Rain Melody" is another great new song in this album, but then again, all the tracks in this album are at least great. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a must have album for any fans of the guitar as a start. This is also a must have for all the Vai fans, since "Melissa's Garden" is enough of a beauty to buy it. This is also a great oppertunity for those who 'fear' Vai as a "Shredder", to understand Vai's profound music and set him apart from the 'Shredder' stereotype. This album is evergreen and guaranteed to never get too cliche. I bought my copy last week, and I'm never gonna lose it (I got backup as well XD). If I do lose it, I don't know what I'll do. // 10

Comments